twenty five

"You've gotta take off your shoes, silly," Lauren nudged Camila towards the security check, slipping off her own boots and tossing them into one of the plastic bins. Camila followed suit, placing her white converse carefully beside Lauren's shoes.

"One at a time," Lauren whispered, gently pushing Camila in the direction of the large metal detector. Hesitantly, Camila walked forwards and waited for Lauren to do the same.

"See? Not so bad," Lauren laughed, grabbing Camila's hand and adjusting her backpack on her shoulder. "Now all we have to do is wait until our plane gets here. We're gate..." she pulled the ticket out of her pocket. "A21. So somewhere down there," she pointed down one of the long hallways.

Smiling widely, Camila followed Lauren as they made their way to their gate. Something else caught Camila's eye, though, and she let go of Lauren's hand to check it out.

The small girl padded over to the front of the gift shop, making a beeline for the rack of hoodies. Lauren raised an eyebrow, jogging after her to see what she had found.

"Look, Lo," Camila help up a blue hoodie with the words 'I New York' in white lettering. Lauren nodded, acknowledging that she'd seen the sweatshirt.

"Can I get it?" Camila tilted her head to the side slightly. "It is your favorite color," she nodded, clutching the hoodie to her chest and moving to whisper in Lauren's ear. "And I am your favorite girl, right?"

Laughing, Lauren took the hoodie from Camila's hands and studied it for a moment. "You're a goofball," she laughed, nudging Camila towards the cash register and handing her back the hoodie. "Go put it up there."

Camila glanced up at Lauren hesitantly but the green eyed girl gave her a supportive smile. Taking a deep breath, Camila padded over and laid the hoodie on the counter.

"Hi," Camila said softly. The cashier gave her a small smile and scanned the hoodie. Putting a comforting arm around Camila's shoulder, Lauren handed the cashier her credit card.

"Can I put it on?" Camila asked quietly once they made their way out of the store with the bag in tow. Lauren laughed, taking the bag from Camila's hand and unfolding the hoodie. She helped the smaller girl tug it on over her shirt.

Camila smiled happily in the hoodie, even though she had chosen one that was two sizes too big for her. Lauren thought she looked adorable with the extra long sleeves. Camila shook her arms a few times so she could wiggle her hands through the openings.

"My favorite girl in my favorite color," Lauren teased, leaning in and kissing Camila's nose. She didn't mind the stares she got from people. She didn't mind at all.

With Camila, things that usually mattered to her didn't matter. Lauren tended to get too worked up over everything. If someone looked at her the wrong way, she'd panic. But now, she had Camila. When she was with Camila, her only focus was Camila. They were both in their own little world, and nothing could ruin that.

"Thank you, Lo," Camila smiled and pulled Lauren into a hug. "I like this better than my last plane."

"Your last plane?" Lauren raised an eyebrow. Camila nodded, grabbing Lauren's hand and pulling her forwards before she could ask any more questions.

"Right here," Lauren pointed to the sign above their gate. Camila clapped her hands and sat down in one of the black chairs. Lauren sat beside her, pulling out her phone and handing Camila one of her ear buds.

The girls listened to music while they waited to board their plane. About twenty minutes later, she was being pulled down the aisle by an excited Camila, who was eager to get a window seat.