Chapter 47-Not a Loss

"Welcome to the fifth month of the Health and Happiness Society, ladies. Congrats. How are you feeling?"

Bitsy stared expectantly at Mira and me, her hair brushed into a ponytail and eyebrows raised. She wore the usual set of gym pants and oversized shirt, only now the shirt was really oversized. I didn't know how much weight Bitsy had lost, but she looked phenomenal. Mira raised her hand—were we in third grade?—and Bitsy called on her.

"I feel like I have more energy, lately," Mira said. "I slipped back into my Pepsi addiction for a few weeks, but I recently talked myself out of it again, and now I feel better."

Bitsy nodded. "I'm proud of you for pulling away from it again. I'm sure that wasn't easy. As a side note, you're really toning up, Mira. We're going to have to repurpose all your muumuus soon. My daughters could use some new drapes."

I shot Mira a glance with a silent agreement. The tropical muumuus had to go and not just because they were many sizes too large now. Mira blushed but smiled with unbridled delight.

"How about you, Lexie?" Bitsy asked. "How are you feeling? It's the second week of June already and your sister's wedding fast approaches. Ready for it?"

Not to mention my deadline for the editing internship application, I thought.

"I feel like my weight loss has slowed," I said. "It doesn't seem to be as easy anymore. My pants aren't becoming as loose as fast as they used to, although working out is getting easier."

Bitsy smirked. "The farther you go, the more difficult it is. Doesn't it suck? When was the last time you weighed in?"

"Last month."

She smiled in a conspiratorial kind of way. "Aren't you the least bit curious?"

My heart sped up in nervous energy for just a second. I thought of my nightly phone conversations with Bradley, of going out to breakfast with Rachelle the day before and not even wanting to eat Krispy Kremes. I'd just run two miles for the first time earlier in the week, so I was still progressing. Did it matter what I weighed anymore?

"No," I said, surprising more than just myself. "It doesn't really matter, does it?"

She smiled. "Not if you feel like it doesn't."

Mira reached over and squeezed my hand with a warm smile.

"Neither of you ate, right?" Bitsy asked, shunting the conversation back to business. "You both got my text? Good. Because I'm about to blow your mind with the best, most nutritious meal ever. Green smoothies!"

Bitsy grabbed a blender she'd displayed on her kitchen counter where the three of us congregated. A display of various fruits and veggies littered the counter top, as well as small cups for sampling. "For those of you who hate veggies, this could save your life. I'm about to show you how to hide spinach. Not even my girls notice it."

Bitsy reached for a bottle of something labeled kefir—whatever black magic that was—and dumped a small portion into the clean blender. Her kitchen was so sparkly and pristine that I didn't even lean against the counter, worried I'd smudge something and have to pay a penance of push-ups. While Bitsy passed around a printout of smoothie recipes to supercharge your morning energy, my cell phone went off, and I reached into my backpack.

Miss Bliss.

"Keep going," I told Bitsy while holding up my phone. "I just need to take this call."

I stepped onto Bitsy's porch where hanging flower baskets dripped with flowers of bright purple and pink. The once cool spring air had started to warm, leaving a sticky haze behind. My flip-flops and shorts—which I'd never worn in public before—kept my still cottage-cheesy-and-less-than-perfect legs cool.