Chapter 11: Where the Heart Is

XI. 

"Sofi!" A shrill voice cut across the yard, causing the young Latina to spin around and smile. "Come and help up make this snow-woman! We want to have it all done before the last recess, so Kelly can take a picture and show her mom!"

"Coming!" Sofia Cabello jumped off the picnic bench on which she stood and landed swiftly in the snow. She began taking large strides across the playground until she reached her friends, the task made easier by her long, nimble legs. "Just tell me what I need to do."

"Okay, we need to roll these two snowballs up and stack them on top of each other." One girl explained as she made large swooping gestures with her hands. "Then I got Ms. Daisy to lend us a carrot from the cafeteria, and some chocolate almonds for eyes... but I think Blake already ate them."

"What?" A skinny boy with a pair of glasses falling down his nose straightened up at the sound of his name. "I didn't touch those!"

Sofi smiled kindly at him, noticing that his hands were stuffed in his pockets. She hopped over and began balling up a handful of snow, crawling carefully along the ground to push it as it picked up in size. When her job was about halfway done, Sofi was knocked over by something large and furry bouncing towards her. She screeched in surprise, then scrambled to her feet to get a look at what she thought was an upper year kid who wasn't watching where they were going.

It was a dog.

"Hi!" Sofi smiled as the animal turned back and looked at her, tilting its head to the side in question. She took a few tentative steps forward, reaching out to pet its head carefully. "Where did you come from?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" A concerned voice sounded from behind her. Sofi turned around, while the dog bounced past her and wagged its tail happily. "Did she hurt you?"

Sofi looked up. There was a young man standing with an empty leash in his hand, he had a slouched beanie over his long blonde hair, and wore a vest overtop of a hoodie. He looked apologetic, and knelt down to clip the dog's leash to its collar.

"No, she didn't." Sofi assured him, straightening out her own pom-pom topped hat. "She's really beautiful though, what's her name?"

"Oh, okay good." The man replied, smiling up at her. "Her name is Bella, she's a two year old Siberian husky." He looked at the dog, petting down her ears playfully. "You're welcome to come and say hi if you'd like."

Sofi grinned wide, darting forward to pet Bella's fur. It was smooth, and a little wiry from the cold. The canine was as powerful as a sled dog should be, and she could feel the taught muscles of her back ripple against the brush of her gloves. The Latina giggled when the dog began licking her face, and was forced to take a few steps backward, laughing all the while.

"Gentle." The man reminded his companion sternly. "She's a friend. What's your name sweetie?"

"Sofi." The girl replied. She was taught to never talk to strangers, but he seemed nice, and definitely concerned for her wellbeing.

"Hi Sofi, my name is James. Bella here loves the cold, so we like coming to the park across the street to throw some snowballs. Unfortunately, sometimes she strays a little. She clearly loves your schoolyard."

Sofi laughed. "That's okay, my mom has never let us get a dog, but I love them a lot! My sister Camila's favourite kind of dog is a husky, she's coming home tonight so I finally get to see her."

James nodded with a smile. "Is she away somewhere right now?"

"Yeah." Sofi continued petting Bella, who had sat down now and was letting her head rest in the girl's hands. "She's at school in New York City, I really miss her."