26. The Search

Chapter Twenty-Six:

The Search

------

(The Night of the Feast)

------

Harriet threw herself into the chair next to Adelaide's, slumping so that way her chin touched her chest. She let out an annoyed huff through her nose, getting the attention of the princess.

"You're bored, aren't you?" Adelaide asked, calmly adding another stitch to her embroidery. Harriet scowled at the embroidery. How was Adelaide even able to sit still for so long?

"Yes!" Harriet said, jumping back out of her chair and beginning to pace. "Why can't we go and take a peek? What could it hurt?"

"It wouldn't hurt anything, you just can't risk getting caught. Sophia told us to stay away so that way she can try and get Frederick and Clara together."

"I don't see what that has to do with us not taking a look inside the dining room."

"If Clara is too busy scolding you for eavesdropping on a situation you shouldn't be, she's not exactly going to be spending time with Frederick is she?" Adelaide stated cooly.

"Why don't you try to find a book to read?" Amelia suggested, picking her head up from where she had been reading one of Adelaide's old books. Princesses in pink dresses danced on the cover and Harriet rolled her eyes.

"I don't feel like reading," Harriet protested. She frowned, and then scowled at the door of Adelaide's room before walking up to it. "I'm doing it."

"Harriet-"

"What? There is nothing to do except read and stitch flowers! I don't want to stitch flowers, I want to see what's happening!" Harriet said, her arms crossing over her chest. "They won't catch me, I know they won't." Adelaide sighed loudly, putting her embroidery on the table beside her.

"Alright, but if you get caught, don't say we didn't warn you," she said, and Harriet's face split into a grin. She hurried over to the door, not waiting to look if the hallway was empty before leaving the room.

She was free! She, Adelaide, and Amelia had been cooped up in Adelaide's room for over an hour, waiting for the feast to be over so they could hear news of whether or not Clara and Frederick had finally got together. Harriet had tried to read, and she had tried to mimic sword-fighting stances from the book Frederick had given her, but it wasn't the same without her sword. It didn't take long for her to grow bored.

The halls of the palace were nearly empty except for the occasional servant, and Harriet couldn't help but smile at her luck. As if she was going to get caught. That would be ridiculous. The servants were supposed to be on the lookout for three ladies, as Adelaide, Amelia, and Harriet weren't supposed to leave Adelaide's room, but they wouldn't expect a girl in boy's trousers.

Harriet smirked slightly at that thought. She certainly wasn't a lady, and now, she almost didn't have to pretend to be one.

She was just rounding a corner, when suddenly she ran head first into someone, causing both of them to stumble and fall in a tumble of red hair and lanky limbs. Harriet groaned as she tried to sit up but found that she couldn't as the other person was on top of her... and they smelled.

"Would you get off?" She grimaced as the person situated their weight slightly.

"Sorry! Sorry, I'm getting up!" The person said, their voice apologetic. Harriet let out a sigh of relief as their weight finally got off of her and the smell went away. She flipped around onto her back, getting to her feet hurriedly, but upon looking at the person she had run into, she paused.