40: the calm

SELENA'S FREAKING SONG IS 😍 & BLESS YOU SWEDEN FOR THAT CONCERT TODAY
...now continue on reading 😊

Jess

Only one or two fans approached me after Harry and I started to leave. They were very nice and asked for pictures. They didn't even question anything about Harry. I smiled and waved to them once we got back into my car.

"Off to the offices," I huff, backing out of the parking space.

I knew the directions there almost by heart. It was a twenty minute drive with traffic from here.

"You just have to speak your mind. You have a say if Jane stays or leaves, so show them that," Harry reassures me.

We get onto the freeway and of course traffic is at a stand still. I sigh and put my car in park, taking my foot off the break. We obviously weren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I fold my legs to my chest and turn my head to Harry, leaning against the headrest. The corners of his mouth perk up and he reaches over and grabs my hand in his.

"Do you have any ideas for the music video?"

I shrug. "Sort of. The song is calm in a way, so I'm thinking the video should go along those lines."

He nods. "I agree. Knowing the work Kyle has done, he should be thinking the same thing."

Traffic starts to move a little bit so I take the car out of park and move up about five feet before everything stops again.

I groan and throw my head back, partially because of all the traffic and also because of how much I have to get done in the next week. I have to finish writing five songs for the new album. In one week. That's unheard of.

My phone starts ringing and Harry lets go of my hand so that I could take it out of the cup holder. It was my aunt.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hi! I just wanted to call and say that we're leaving today for our flight to Los Angeles. I don't know if you wanted to meet us or..."

The traffic starts moving again so I quickly put my phone on Bluetooth over the cars speakers.

I turn my head and mouth to Harry, "my aunt", so he'd at least know who I'm giving out my plans to. He nods his head and his forehead creases in concentration.

"When are you getting in?" I ask, even though I probably won't be able to see them anyways because of the schedule I had today.

"Eight tonight. If you can't get us, it's completely fine. We'll just get a rental car, since we'll need one anyways."

A pang of guilt hit me square in the chest.

"I'm really sorry. I just have so much to do today and tomorrow seems a little better. I promise I'll make it out sometime tomorrow to see you."

"Yeah, that's perfectly fine. Um, I'll see you tomorrow then, Jess?"

"Have a safe flight," I say, then hang up. A deep breath leaves me. I feel myself completely relax again when Harry grabs my hand in his.

After a minute of silence, I speak up, looking only at the road in front of me. "I really am trying with them, Harry."

"I know you are," he says back instantly.

•••

"They're a bunch of freaking dirtbags. Have I ever said how much I hate politics? I hate politics. They are just...ugh!"

"Give me the keys. I'm driving."

Harry held out his hands and I dig through my purse and slap the keys into his open hand.