Chapter Two

This one is dedicated to the rude-ass helping me edit <3

Chapter Two:

"You can't be serious."

"You cannot expect me to follow you into a mysterious land alone. I will bring him, and that's final."

He stared at me with a piercing look, as if he would give anything to strangle me on the spot. I supposed he would've preferred a gentle, obedient girl. It was a shame that he was stuck with me.

"That thing is barely alive. Leave him here with your father and he'll be allowed in the town," he tried but I shook my head.

"He may be missing a leg and his tail, but my little one is better off than you are. And he isn't fond of anyone but me, not even my father," I explained, holding the bright orange ball of fur closer to my chest.

"You aren't worth this much trouble," he muttered, running a hand through his hair with an irritated look. Good, I was finally getting to him. Maybe he would get the sense that I didn't want to go anywhere with him.

"Bring him," he decided before directing his men to take my two suitcases and tie them up.

I smiled down at the reynard in my arms, pressing my lips against his soft fur. Todd had been the first animal I'd tamed. We were both younger at the time when Todd was mauled by something much larger than himself. I had only wanted to help him, not yet realizing what I was able to do.

"Rowan!"

I turned and met my father who enveloped me into his arms, a grouchy fox smothered between us. We said our parting words, and I quickly kissed him goodbye before the tears rebelled against me. I wouldn't cry in front of these strangers.

"You'll ride with me and I'll explain the situation."

I watched as the man put his helmet back on before meeting my gaze. The only thing I could see were his light brown eyes, waiting on my response. I walked over, not allowing him to intimidate me as I carefully placed Todd into a bag. I gently slung it over my shoulder, hearing his soft chatter in my ears.

"You now know my name, but I have nothing to call you by. That does not seem the least bit fair," I told the stranger as I walked over to his horse.

She was beautiful for such a large animal, yet I could see the gentle nature she held within her deep eyes. They were as dark as the hair that covered her, shining with eagerness to obey. She looked at me, her muscles coiled, ready to spring.

"Perhaps you should give me a name so that I can remember you by something?" I said, smiling at the horse. I murmured words of affection to her, reaching up to stroke her muzzle.

She leaned into my hand, warm air blowing out her flared nostrils. "Such a beautiful creature," I whispered, placing my forehead against hers. I closed my eyes, feeling her relax under my hand as I stroked her neck.

"You can call me Sage," he said, finally responding to me.

I opened my eyes, feeling Sage's own on me as I stroked the horse. I stiffened when I realized the others were watching me too, captivated. I wasn't used to anyone around me when I was with animals. It seemed like something that was private, something others didn't deserve to see.

I pulled away from her, saying goodbye before walking over to him again. "You're lucky to have such a magnificent animal," I said, and he simply looked at me before ordering his men onto their own horses.

Sage climbed onto his in a fluid motion before offering me his hand. I huffed at him but grabbed it, swinging onto the back of the horse. I rubbed her, thanking her for allowing me to ride her when Sage cleared his throat.

"What?" I asked, already irritated by him. He was a human, someone who didn't deserve the respect animals did-forcing me to go with him only proved my point.

"You'll need to hold onto me. It will be easier for the both of us," he explained and I frowned, wishing for a horse of my own.

I leaned closer to him, wrapping my arms around his waist. Underneath his armor, I could feel his chest expanding with his breath. I had never been so close to anyone in my life, and it terrified me.

"Let us leave," I muttered, already missing the forest. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving it for a foreign land.

I made it a silent promise that I would return one day. I would return to its trees and grass, to its fawns and wolves. I would return to the only place that was truly a home for me.

Sage barked an order, one that sent the other horses flying, their powerful hooves beating against the ground at an irregular tempo. Not a second later, we were flying too, heading to take the lead in front of the others.

I made the mistake of glancing back. There stood my father, waving at me, tears washing his face. However, he wasn't alone. In the shadows of the trees were several animals, all standing there. They were watching at me, every one of them familiar with my touch.

When I could no longer see them, I heard the sound of a howl, long and sorrowful. Other wolves joined in, and it was only then that I allowed my tears to run free.