Chapter 29:: Be Spontaneous

Chapter 29// Be Spontaneous

♜JESSE P.O.V ♜

"Mom?" I push on the door just enough to glance around it into her bedroom, my voice cautious and hesitant. "Mom I brought you some lunch." I enter the room, ignoring my father's clothes littering the floor and heading up to the bed. Soon after my mom found out about his cheating, she felt it necessary to attack the wardrobe and throw all of his clothes onto the floor. I don't think it made her feel any better than she did before, so she stopped, but she hasn't had the strength to pick the clothes back up yet. I haven't either. My gaze softens again as I see her, cocooned in her sheets and staring at the ceiling. "Mom?"

She glances at me, and pulls on a weak smile immediately. "Yum. I'm starving," She mumbles, although I think it's more for my benefit than it is for hers. She props herself up on a cushion and I place the tray down in front of her on the bedsheets. She looks nothing like the woman I've known all my life: she looks tired, and miserable. I've cut her sandwiches into triangles, and bought her a chocolate frappe back from the Beach Café. Lois introduced those to her, and she's now addicted to them. It's not enough to bring a smile to her face, and I feel guilt wash over me. I shouldn't have told her about Dad. She wasn't ready.

"So, I realised something today," I begin, sitting down at the edge of the bed. Mom picks at her sandwich, and looks up as I speak. "Lois told me that she liked me."

"Really?" Mom's eyebrows shoot skyward, "She finally told you?"

"I didn't realise you knew," I frown, "I can't believe she told you before she told me." I roll my eyes, "Yeah. I went over to her house today, trying to explain things to her. Before I got the chance though, she told me she loved me." My eyes shoot up to Mom's, and she's staring at me in surprise. "She loves me," I repeat, grinning. "You heard right."

"That's amazing," Mom croons, and this is the most emotion I've seen out of her in two days. Her mouth just can't help but smile. "I'm assuming from the grin on your face that you love her back. Are you two together now?" Her sandwich lies forgotten on her bed sheets and she leans forward a little bit, sitting up properly now. I can't believe I'm getting a little emotion out of her, that this news is actually distracting her. She's excited again, not sad, excited.

"No we aren't together," I shake my head awkwardly, glancing away, "I didn't actually have the chance to tell her that I love her back....I can't believe I'm telling you this," I cringe, "But I need your help. I need you to help me with what to say to her. I also have something I need to explain to her, but I'm not sure if she's going to be angry, or whether she'll even want to be with me after this bombshell." I bite my lip and scratch the back of my neck awkwardly.

"Hold on, you didn't tell her you love her back? Are you insane?" My mom asks incredulously. The spark of emotion in her eye I saw previously in this conversation has grown into a fire which consumes her whole expression. She's immersed in the story. "Do you have any idea how crazy she's going to be going right now? She just confessed her love to you and you couldn't say it back? When were you planning on telling her?"

"Well I was planning on telling her tomorrow," I frown, "Her brother said that she needed a bit of time to digest the information that he's seeing her best friend. She's a bit of a mess right now, and she needs some space." I try to justify my actions, but my mother just buries her face in her palms. "I could go and see her now?" I suggest weakly, "See when she has her shift at the Beach Café. But what do I say to her? How do...how do I even begin?"

"You get your ass to that Beach Café as soon as possible, and you tell her that you love her. You definitely do not wait," My mom enunciates as though I'm dumb, "What's the issue? Everything will work out from there. It shouldn't be scripted, it should be spontaneous."