Chapter 1

The hum of the jump drive faded to silence. Cris Sights breathed a sigh of relief. Home at last.

He stood up from the plush chair in the passenger cabin of the TSS transport vessel and stretched. It had been another long week of diplomatic relations on behalf of the TSS. Following the success of his internship on Marilon II, Cris had become High Commander Banks' first choice for any matters requiring a political liaison. Much to Cris' irritation, the assignments had continued even after he advanced to Lead Agent. I should have known that there was no escape from politics. Even after two decades with the TSS, I'm still babysitting Dynastic delegates.

A young Militia officer named Dylaen popped his head into the passenger cabin. He had accompanied Cris on other diplomatic missions and had been immensely helpful with the administrative aspects of their most recent assignment on Bashari Prime. "All set, sir?"

"Yes, we made it back just in time. I think most of my sanity is intact." Cris grabbed his travel bag from next to his chair and walked toward the door.

"Didn't go quite how you hoped?" Dylaen asked.

I would lose it if I had to read through one more list of contract exceptions. Cris shrugged. "I submitted the report, so my opinion doesn't matter anymore. We'll see what Banks thinks." That was one benefit to such assignments: once the report was filed, his work was done. Few other responsibilities as Lead Agent had such a clear distinction.

Dylaen accompanied Cris toward the gangway off the transport ship. "At least we have some leave now. Hopefully you can get some family time before we have to head out again."

Cris almost laughed. I wish. "That's a rarity these days. Kate and I are able to grab Wil for dinner once a week, if we're lucky." Though expected, it was still difficult to see his son drifting away. Wil was a Junior Agent, despite only being fourteen years old, and no one else in that position would have their parents around demanding attention. I kept him from a Dynastic life on Tararia, but is the TSS really any better?

In recent years, Cris frequently found himself questioning the decision to raise Wil at TSS Headquarters. There had been no examples to follow—being the only High Dynasty heir to ever become a TSS Agent. Having a son to carry on the Sietinen Dynasty legacy was a given, but there were no systems in place within the TSS to accommodate that parental responsibility. Cris had fought to make it work—desperate to provide an alternative for his son that would offer a vantage other than that of Cris' own privileged youth. The chance to raise Wil within the TSS, surrounded by others with telekinetic abilities and from all walks of life, seemed compelling at the time. Yet, it meant Wil had always been the sole child among teenagers and adults. Never did Cris anticipate the full effects of such an arrangement.

Cris descended the gangway from the transport ship. With Dylaen in tow, he headed toward one of the docked shuttles that would take them from the space station down to the port on the surface of Earth's moon.

"I'm not surprised Wil is so busy," Dylaen commented as they approached the waiting shuttles. "People want to talk to him about all sorts of stuff—subspace navigation theory, engineering spec reviews, or even for tips on high-speed maneuvering in combat jets. I have no idea how he picks up so much."

Everyone is so eager to exploit Wil's intellect, they forget he's still a kid. "I've told him he needs to establish some boundaries or he's never going to have any time for himself."

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll find a balance eventually," Dylaen assured. "You must be proud of him. Making Junior Agent already is really impressive."

I had hoped he would have the chance to grow up without the weight of responsibility, but maybe it was unavoidable. "Very proud, but I still worry sometimes. I want him to be happy."