Third Sighting

Moonlit Meetings:

Chapter 3:

2 weeks later:

It was the day of the heist and Ciel had a plan of sorts as well as various back up plans in case everything went wrong. He had a small vial of chloroform in his pocket in the event that Sebastian did manage to get in the way of his escape route.

They were all at the Wordsmith residence waiting until the time that Black Phantom had stated in his notice. When the note had arrived Sebastian had been very excited and had spent several days concocting ways to catch him. Naturally he had had to inform the other members of the team so Ciel had developed a plan around Sebastian's.

They and a couple of officers from another department were all to be stationed at all the likely entrances to the house which were limited and Sebastian had also placed video cameras in the rooms they couldn't cover. Ciel's phantom thief costume was currently concealed in a giant vase in the living room where he had been placed.

Ciel was looking out the window at the full moon when Tanaka walked in.

"Are you here to give me a last minute warning to be careful?"

Instead Tanaka whispered something else in his ear. "I meant to tell you this earlier, but I can't find anything on Sebastian Michaelis."

"Why not? Could it be a fake name?"

Tanaka shook his head. "I found his birth certificate and it's right because it matches his current age, but there were no school or university records. There was nothing until he started Police training so we don't have anything to blackmail him with."

Ciel sighed. He had been hoping that Sebastian had done something blackmail worthy both personally and for his occupation. They would just have to focus on evading him for now.

"It's a shame," he pouted and cheered up on remembering where they were.

Wordsmith could be the murderer meaning that after tonight he could be finished with his night job. The man had seemed normal if a little shy when he and Sebastian had visited a few days ago.

"It's nice to see that some members of the investigation team have bonded so well, but it's 10 minutes to midnight so get to your positions," Sebastian ordered from the doorway. "Are your walkie talkies still working?"

Ciel and Tanaka checked and gave an affirmative.

"Good. There will be no excuse if any of you fail to alert me if you see the phantom thief then. Tanaka, hurry up and get to the hallway."

Tanaka and Sebastian left the room together leaving Ciel alone to count down on his watch.

"5,4,3,2,1."

At zero the lights went out and he opened the window, grabbed a rock he had hidden in the flowerbed beforehand, leaned out and threw it at the kitchen window which was opposite the room he was in due to the shape of the house. Mey-Rin was positioned in the kitchen and she raised the alarm when the window smashed.

Ciel quickly pulled on his outfit over his clothes and ran through the house to the study. He didn't encounter anyone on his way as Mey-Rin and Tanaka were directing Sebastian and the other officers elsewhere over the walkie talkies.

Once he reached the study, he found Sebastian's camera by the red light and turned it off and muted his walkie talkie and began the search.

He hurriedly rifled through the drawers in the desk and pulled them out when he couldn't find anything. Affixed with masking tape underneath one of the drawers was a notebook. Ciel took it and approached the bookshelf. The room was well lit by the moonlight so he didn't need to turn on the torch in his pocket. He felt along the spines, checking for anomalies. He felt a strange dip and he discovered a thin scrapbook in between two books. He purloined it and moved along to the next row; he couldn't afford to leave anything out.