twenty seven

"We've got three stops to make," Lauren explained as they walked. Camila listened intently, curious as to what Lauren had in store.

"We're only going to one place today," Lauren continued, reaching over and lacing their fingers together. Camila smiled up at her, nodding and skipping happily in front of them to inspect a dandelion poking out of the sidewalk.

Lauren bit her lip, wondering if she was doing the right thing. She was aware that it may be somewhat frightening for Camila, but she was also tired of trying to fix anything but the real problem.

They walked for a while, and eventually Camila stole Lauren's phone to call Dinah and check up on Wolf. She trailed behind Lauren as she dialed Dinah's number, holding the phone up to her ear and smiling excitedly.

"Hello?" she tilted her head to the side. Lauren glanced back at her, watching as the small girl widened her eyes and squealed excitedly. "Hi Dinah!"

Laughing to herself, Lauren jogged back and grabbed Camila's free hand to pull her forwards. The small girl babbled on and on to Dinah about the funeral, even explaining her entire outfit in detail.

"I would bump your fist, but I can not see you," Camila giggled. Lauren rolled her eyes playfully, tugging on Camila's hand to make her turn down the sidewalk.

"Is Wolf taking good care of you?" Camila teased. Lauren couldn't help but laugh. Camila's jokes were cheesy but extremely endearing.

They walked for a while longer until Lauren made a turn onto a familiar street. She bit her lip and glanced back at Camila, squeezing her hand and pointing to the building across the street.

Camila's eyes widened and she nearly dropped the phone. Lauren quickly grabbed it, telling Dinah they had to go and glancing over at her girlfriend, whose eyes were scanning the large building up and down.

"I remember," Camila said softly, turning to Lauren. "We had Chemisty."

"We did," Lauren nodded, looking both ways before leading Camila across the street. "Do you know why we're here?" Camila tilted her head to the side, following closely behind Lauren.

"This is all stuff that was familiar to you... before... the accident," Lauren explained quietly. Camila started walking towards the front door of the building but Lauren nudged her around the side. Confused, Camila followed.

"The best way to conquer your fears is to face them," Lauren continued. Camila nodded quietly, jogging forwards and holding onto Lauren's arm as they neared the back of the building.

"So this is step one," Lauren whispered, turning around to the back entrance of the building. Camila stopped walking when she saw someone else leaning against the wall. She recognized the blonde hair.

"Camz," Lauren whispered, gently leading Camila forward. The girl smiled, greeting Lauren. Camila continued to study her. She knew her. She recognized her.

And then it clicked. Camila scooted closer to Lauren, holding onto her arm and biting her lip.

"You left," Camila whispered, shaking her head and looking at the girl, who she remembered as Sydney. "You left."

Sydney glanced at Lauren before shaking her head. "What do you mean?"

Camila bit her lip. "You left. You did not come back," she looked up at Lauren pleadingly. The green eyed girl squeezed her hand and gave her a supportive smile.

"You don't understand, Camila," Sydney shook her head, trying to explain herself. "I did. I mean... I tried to come and see you. I swear," she held her hands up in the air as if she were surrendering. "But... your uncle... he..."