𝐯. TO SAVE A FRIEND

˖*°࿐chapter five

˖chapter five.
v. TO SAVE A FRIEND

———

janelle

"Home, sweet home." I plopped down onto my bed as Stefan helped bring in my last suitcase.

All thanks to the warlock who sucked up the magic from the Traveler spell covering Mystic Falls, we were able to come home with no problems. Except for the fact that Damon let the little weasel escape and now we have to keep our guard up in case he attacks.

Everything in my room was still exactly the way I left it. I kept it magically sealed, so only I could be the one to access it. Which I'm glad I did because we've had a few uninvited house guests up in here.

"You're lucky," Stefan chuckled, leaning against the door frame. "This is probably the cleanest part of the whole house."

I sat up, sliding off my heels and placing them by the nightstand. "It's not my fault the underage teenagers invaded it."

"Well, you get some sleep. It's been a long day," he said, coming over to kiss my cheek. "I'll see you in the morning. Goodnight."

"Night, Stef," I smiled as he left the room.

I went into my bathroom, removing all the jewelry I was wearing and set it on the counter. I stripped out of my clothes and stepped in the shower, my muscles relaxing under the warm water.

Stefan was right. It was a long day. But something still seemed to bother me. The way Jo's brother looked at me today. It was the same look Klaus would give from time to time. The one that reminded me of how much he cared. How much he loved me.

But that's impossible; a psychopath like him couldn't feel that way for someone. For me.

Right?

I mean, I haven't even said two words to the guy. I hardly know him. In fact, I hardly know his sister, but she's acting as if I've known her for years. Something was off about their family.

But I guess I'll figure it out another time.

———

"So, when did our house become target practice?" I asked Damon, handing him a cup of coffee.

"Jo needed a place to work on her magic," he explained. "I felt guilty for what I put her and Ric through, so I offered up our place out the goodness of my heart." He grinned.

I scoffed, "You felt guilty? That's a new one."

"Don't be so surprised." Damon scowled at me. "Have you seen Elena?" he asked.

"What am I, your girlfriend's keeper now?" I asked rhetorically. It's not my fault if can't keep tabs on her."

There was a crash in the living room, and I groaned, knowing that it was my turn to go check it out. I hopped off the counter that I was previously sitting on and went into the living room.