Chapter Twenty-Nine ۞ Parasite

Valeriana felt guilty for making the guy cry that she took out her handkerchief and offered it to him with slight hesitance. She didn't intend to shock him at all.

"I'm really sorry." She told him, panicking. His tears were nonstop that it was somehow hard to believe he was turning into a demon.

Well, it wasn't as though he wanted it willingly.

"Please . . ." His cheeks were red as he doubled over the table and hid his face into his hands. "I desire nothing else than to have this stop. All I ever . . . wanted . . . I--"

His aura was unsettled, rowdy, and gloomy. His depression and stress was apparent that his thoughts were incoherent and so was his speaking. Bertram, also known as Kyrell, was undoubtedly going through the hardest stage of his life.

Valeriana had more than just a small vision of his memories. She had a peak into his experiences as a prince that she could not help but sympathize with him. As cheesy as it sounded, she could not help but shed a tear or two.

Now she knew how personal it was to become a Direct Controller and how heavy it really was to have this sort of ability.

"Edeltraud . . . I am so sorry." He whispered.

She just saw the worst moment of his life. There was no one who would ever want someone inside their heads, right?

"I'm in no place to demand anything since I basically was the one who wanted to help." She told him. "But can you hear me out?"

He didn't answer.

"It must be hard going through all these so I am not going to beat around the bush." Valeriana paused and bit down on her lip. "You must not let this get to you, like what Sir Edeltraud said. You have to know that a legitimate demonic transformation will involve the soul. I'm not yet sure but the infection takes a hold of the aura. The negativity infects the physical body. If you continue to stay stressed and depressed like this, you really will transform into a demon."

He breathed in deeply as he looked up. Bertram wiped off his tears, his face hinting his humiliation. "It is unbecoming for a man to cry in front of a woman."

"Do me one favor then, Your Highness." She began. "And smile."

The prince gave her a dubious look. As he opened his mouth to, probably, protest on her outrageous idea, she beat him to it and spoke first.

"I know it might sound weird. But, in this life, you literally can't afford to be unhappy no matter what kind of crap's thrown at you. I learned that from someone." Credits to Lord Lienhard for this. Valeriana really owed him. "It's hard to find this happiness, but I want you to think that there wouldn't be rainbows without the rain. Life's too short."

His tears had stopped, that was for sure.

"U-um . . ." She started to turn red as she realized what a fool she was making herself out of. "Okay, I know it's really strange, b-but . . . uh . . . er . . . ugh--"

Moments later, he looked down on his lap. His shoulders trembled that Valeriana panicked at the impression he was giving off.

Oh, no. He wasn't crying again, was he?

"Kyre--I mean, Prince--"

"AHAHAHA!" His roaring laughter echoed throughout the entire room that Valeriana had to turn her face away to hide her reddening cheeks.

Geez, seriously.

He really was crying again.

Of laughter of course.