My Benefactor Chapter Eight

My Benefactor

Copyright © 2011 crimsonnebula

All rights reserved

Chapter Eight
Picture on the side is Reagan and Derek. Aren't they cute :D

Enjoy! No proofreading done.

******

If my ears were deceiving me, I thought I heard Derek said 'I love you, my darling' in French, as far as my knowledge of the language could go, since I had French when I was homeschooled, but still. I was quite surprised with that bold yet endearing gesture.

Why would he say that, anyway? Did he mean that in a brotherly kind or in a romantic kind? I would choose the first one since there was no way that he would get involved with a girl like me, common place and a drama magnet.

But, what was not to like Derek. He was sweet, smart, intelligent which explains his vast incomprehensible knowledge of things in general and well, he was sickenly generous, which I find sometimes irritating but adorable.

Yet, his classic yet enthralling beauty enhanced that to an extreme level would make any woman weak on the knees.

That, my friend, was all the more reasons that he was out of my reach, like a bright star on the sky. Only for my eyes to see, but not to touch.

My sobs had quieted down and Derek never stopped rubbing my back. He never asked questions as why I bawled like a newborn baby, which I had to give him props. I didn't like people prodding me to spill it out if I didn't feel like telling. Derek knew me well, and I adored him for it.

After a moment, I was calm. It took me a while to realize that I was sitting on his lap, so in a split second, I was off like lightning and mumbled an embarrassed sorry. Of course, the idiot just had to find my embarrassment amusing.

I walked around his desk and sat on the chair that was in front. I plopped down and let out a big woosh of air.

Derek broke the tense silence, "You okay now?" he asked softly.

I nodded lamely and gave him a sheepish look, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump on your lap like that. Wasn't thinking straight." I placed my hand on my lap and bent my head down.

Derek chuckled then waved his hand in the air to dismiss the thought, "It is fine. No harm done."

We fell back to awkward silence.

I felt like a loser at this very moment. I bet he was thinking I'm some attention seeking girl prancing around looking for trouble. As if sensing my train of thought, he spoke with clear authority, which had me look up to meet his dark blue eyes, "Reagan, look at me."

He never used that tone on me before. Maybe he got irritated, so no wonder he used it on me. Begrudgingly, I looked up, not saying a word.

"I know what you're thinking and no, you're not an attention seeking girl." He said sternly.

I gasped, "How did you know?"

His lips form into a cocky smirk,"You didn't live for two years under my care for nothing, little one. I know how you think, most especially the after thoughts."

Why you cocky idiot. He will never stop calling me little one, I could feel it in my bones.

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, yeah, whatever."

He laughed for a bit and once again, he went back plastering a serious look on his face,"I won't force you to tell me, but when you're ready, I'll listen, and not judge you."

I shook my head,"No, no. It's okay. You need to know anyway."

He nodded and urged me to continue.

I took in a big gulp of air and told him what happened about my confrontation with mom. Every knitty gritty detail, I didn't leave anything out. All he did was listen, not interrupting me. There were some occasional frowns but nevertheless, he was just silent, listening to my tale of woe.

After what felt like an eternity, I was breathless. It was the longest detailed explanation I had ever done, and it was a mouthfull.

With a heave of air, I said, "So that's why I flew to your lap then cried a river. The end."

I looked at him expectantly then he finally spoke,"That was intense."

"Tell me about it." I muttered.

He stood up from his leather seat and went around to my side. He stopped in front of me and kneeled down on one knee, like a knight who was about to be knighted by the king,"Before you say anything, I want you to listen to me first," he paused to see if I would agree so I nodded,"Good. I know this must be hard for you, but I want you to talk to your mother. I'm not saying you're going to do it now. You can do it whenever you're ready. Tell her how you feel, no holds bar, and at least establish a relationship with her. She's family. No matter how screwed up the circumstances, she's after all, your mother. If it doesn't work out, then that's all there is to it."

I sighed,"I don't know..." I trailed.

"Just give yourself time. When you're ready, talk to her." He said.

With a dejected sigh, I slowly nodded my head and sulked back in the chair.

Derek ruffled my hair then smiled, "That's the spirit," his face went solemn,"you're my best friend, Reagan. You're like a sister I never had and it pains me to see you hurt." When he said best friend and sister, for some reason the way he said it sounded off and weird.

It kind of hurt but I just shook off the absurd feeling.

I gave him a soft smile,"Thank you, Derek."

"You're welcome."

He stood up and went back to the leather seat and sat down. I stood up as well, "I guess I should go do my homework."

"Yes, you should. I don't want you to fail." He said in playful stern voice.

I rolled my eyes, "Shut up." then walked out of the study, leaving Derek laughing like a hyena.

Jerk.