7- Football Games

I've done some questionable things in my young life time. I have given into underage drinking, I've had sex before marriage, I've even tried smoking weed once (never again will I do that). I've lied to my mother and I've kissed a boy without even knowing his name. I've gone to clubs, I've danced with strangers in less than innocent ways, I've worn skimpy dresses.

I've done some crazy things and yet, none of them have been as crazy as sitting in the bleachers of Lincoln High School watching a charity football game between two teams that don't know a thing about football. They don't have pads or helmets or anything, but it is tackle football- the basketball players are wearing blue jerseys and the soccer players were in black jerseys. I don't know which one Scott is although I know that he's one of the players in black, I can't recognize him. Obviously after so many years, I have no idea what he looks like now.

"Which one do you think that he is?" Jasper asks me as they start playing again after the halftime.

"I have no idea," I breathe, gripping my moon and star necklace in my fist to bring me a little bit of confidence to calm my nerves. I'm just so nervous, my heart is pounding in my chest, I'm bounding my legs up and down with the balls of my feet, I'm sweating. But that's partially because of the incredible heat.

"Well then go find him," He suggests, urging me towards the bleacher stairs that would lead me to the football field. There's tons of people here, both sets of bleachers are practically full, and each team even has their own cheerleaders. It was a pretty serious game and I just want to wait until the end to do something because I don't want so many witnesses to me crying when I see Scott and then Scott saying 'do I know you?' back at me. It'd be so humiliating.

It'll be humiliating either way but more so if there's an audience.

"I'm going to wait until the end," I tell him.

"Jo, we've been here for almost half an hour now," Jasper reminds me. "And I've spent the whole time trying to work up your courage enough to go find this guy. Go find him. If you wait until the end, he could be gone and then this whole day would have been for nothing."

"I know, you're right," I mumble.

"Of course I'm right," He scoffs jokingly. "I always am. Now, go. I'll wait here for you."

"Okay," I sigh. "Okay, I can do this. It's really no big deal, right? But I mean, what do I even say? Just introduce myself?"

"Sure, whatever you want to do," Jasper tells me. "Just go with your gut."

"That's the worst advice ever," I accuse him with a pointed look. "Tell me what to do!"

"I can't," He laughs. "I can't say that I've been in this situation before. There's not really a right or wrong answer though. Just go down there and ask somebody which one he is and then try to get his attention or something. I honestly have no idea. I just know that you'll be fine. No matter what, I'll be here."

"I could get humiliated."

"Yeah," Jasper agrees. "You could. But so what? You'll get over it. What you won't get over is if you don't even go down there at all. You know that you'll regret it if you don't at least try."

"Are you always this right?"

He nods, wrapping me in a one armed hug. "Yes. Always. You should be used to it by now."

"Whatever," I grumble jokingly. "Okay, I'm going to go now. Don't move from this spot, alright?"

"I won't move, I promise."

I stand up from where I'm sitting beside Jasper and then squeeze passed a few people so that I can get to the stairs. The soccer team scores a touchdown as I'm going down the bleachers and half of the people around me start cheering excitedly. I clap a few times to show my quiet support but I'm too nervous to do anything else and then my hand is gripping my necklace again.