Chapter 34: Wave

It was broad daylight by the time I woke up. I found myself cradled in Lord Einarr's arms, my back pressed against him. One of his hands sat protectively on my belly, while the other brushed my damp hair off my forehead.

He placed a soft kiss behind my ear. "How are you feeling, my sweet? You had us worried."

I pressed against him, his sturdy frame comforting me. "Weak, but he pain is gone..." I stiffened, my fingers going to my stomach. "How is the bearn?" I couldn't sense it move. Was it dead?

"Sleeping, as its mother was. Do not fret, little dreki, our child was kicking happily moments ago. It carries my bloodline and we are not so easily destroyed." His voice showed his pride.

Relief washed through me. Of course our offspring would be strong. It came from two long lines of warriors. "Maybe it's my blood that kept it safe." I wouldn't let him take all the credit.

He burst into a loud guffaw. "You really are back to health. It's about time. For a full day we thought neither of you would survive."

"A full day?" I twisted to face him and noticed the redness of his eyes and the dark circles under them. "Did you stay with me all along?"

He shrugged. "I couldn't leave you unprotected. There is a killer amongst us, whom I have yet to unmask."

I met his gaze. "Pray do not be too harsh on the girl. She had no idea..."

"I am a judge, Sunngifu," he chided, "children are protected by our laws. Her mother brought the little one here and I talked to her while you slept. She was very sad to find you so ill. Someone wrapped in a cloak called her to the back door and handed her the drink, pretending to be Mildred. At her age, she didn't ask any question. She was proud to be given an important task and carried it out the best she could. And Mildred's husband confirms that his wife stayed with him all evening."

I was taken aback at his statement. Did he really suspect Mildred? Then I remembered he had been betrayed before. Mildred was my friend, not his. At least now I was certain I could trust her. "Could Eimear's daughter recognize the killer's voice?"

"Nay, they were whispering. I sent my mother to question the servants, we might learn more from them."

His mother... Was it wise, when she could well have been the culprit? Yet she helped cure me. She hadn't been hostile to me since the announcement, just cold. I was tempted to point him towards Hrefna, but I had no proof, and he had good grounds to accuse me of jealousy. And what if I was wrong? If she was innocent? Could I live with her death on my conscience?

I kept my mouth shut. I was learning.

Unfortunately, Lady Disaelfr didn't obtain any useful information. For the next ten days I was once more confined to Lord Einarr's bedroom, my work being brought to me. My door was constantly guarded. Lord Einarr was getting incredibly frustrated at the lack of results, and I was pushed to the edge of madness by worry and boredom. Mildred and Svana did their best to entertain me, but it wasn't enough. I needed fresh air desperately.

The opportunity came with a request for the godi's assistance from a farmer living up the valley. He had gone into a fight with his neighbor and needed help to settle the quarrel. The complex affair of inheritance threatened to turn into a feud. The man couldn't travel. A bad fall had left him with a broken leg.

Later in the night, as I was settling in Lord Einarr's arms, he asked me to come with him. It was unexpected, and I was both elated and wary. After weeks of hand feeding my stomach had enlarged considerably. There was no hiding it. Would riding be safe and would I be able to do it? I voiced my concerns and he smiled.