Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Hunter-

Dude, the girl is freakin' hot, I thought to myself for the thousandth time as I stared at her during chemistry lab. Initially, I'd been disappointed this class didn't have alphabetized seating like the others, but I'd grown quite happy with admiring the view from behind without her knowing.

I cast another glance over her form—slender, yet round in all the right places. Her curly, red hair bounced with every shake of her head as she talked animatedly to her best friend, Clay.

He was almost the classic nerd stereotype. Slick hair combed with a rigid part, plaid shirts, with pens in his pocket protector. He wore glasses, but they were decent looking ones—not the typical thick coke bottle glasses that were taped in the middle that most people associated with the type. My attention returned to the beautiful girl at his side.

What a pair. I wondered if she knew he was the real reason guys didn't ask her out much. She was considered nerdy by association, which was a shame seeing how she was drop-dead gorgeous. Even though Clay claimed to have a girlfriend in another town, there was still some speculation on whether or not these two might actually be an item.

I released a frustrated sigh. I wished I hadn't talked to her yesterday. I liked her instantly. It was fun to push her buttons and mess with her for a bit. But I wasn't looking for a girlfriend, nerd or otherwise—no way, no how. There was enough on my plate right now, and having a relationship with anyone, especially her, would complicate things so badly I didn't want to consider the repercussions.

I dragged my stare away and looked at the lab sheet in front of me, as I tried to forget the conversation we'd had. She was unsure of me. I could tell from the way her honey eyes rounded in surprise and how she chewed on her apricot colored bottom lip, her perfect skin blushing softly like an overripe peach.

Growling, I shifted slightly in my seat. I made her sound like she was a fruit salad just waiting for me to take a bite. There will be no biting of anyone, I reminded myself, frowning at my internal dialogue. Strictly off limits.

"You okay, man?"

I glanced over to find my lab partner and new friend, Russ, staring at me strangely.

"Fine, why?"

He shrugged. "No reason. You were just making some funny noises."

"What's the next step in this lab?" I asked. If he wondered why I was taking a sudden interest in the project I'd basically been letting him do alone, he made no comment about it.

He chuckled. "We're done."

"Oh, sorry." I wasn't really. I could think of a million other things I would rather be doing right now. I hated being stuck in this dumb science lab, or any class for that matter. I was so over high school.

"It's okay. You seemed . . . preoccupied." He cast a glance in Cami's direction before looking back.

I gave a soft grunt and ran a hand over my face. I needed to pay better attention to what I was doing and who was watching.

"I get it," Russ continued on as if we'd actually been having a conversation. "I've always thought she's pretty."

"Who?" I asked, trying to bluff my way out of this situation.

He grinned. "That's really the way you're gonna play it?"

"Play what? I have no idea what you're talking about, bro."

He shook his head looking perplexed. "Okay, I get it. You don't want to talk about the girl you obviously think is hot. I don't understand it, but whatever. It's your deal."