Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Cami-

My hand trembled as I reached for the doorknob after the knock sounded. I took a steadying breath and tried to appear normal as I swung it open.

"Hey, Clay," I said casually. That was as far as I got. My jaw fell open, and I quickly snapped it shut.

He was completely transformed. His blond hair was no longer slicked back, instead styled to perfection in the latest messy trend. He wasn't wearing his glasses, and due to the extreme, startling, blue shade of his eyes, I quickly gathered he'd gotten contacts. There wasn't an ounce of plaid anywhere on his body—instead he was wearing a blue t-shirt in a shade that only further complimented his eyes and his newly-trimmed physique. His jeans were a dark indigo, slung low on his hips, and a pair of black checkerboard vans completed the ensemble.

He chuckled. "You look amazing," he said as his eyes drifted over the short, green, halter summer dress I was wearing, along with a pair of matching sandals.

"Um, so do you. What happened?" I shook my head. "That didn't come out like I meant. I mean . . . I never knew you cared about being fashionable."

He shrugged. "I decided it was time for a change, so I've been saving up some money for it. I've been trying to slowly switch things up, just to see if you would notice but then after today I was tired of waiting."

I wasn't sure what to say. He looked great, but not like my Clay either. "Well, you look . . . good."

He shifted a little and glanced away for a second as if he were uncomfortable. "So, you ready to go?"

"Yeah, just let me grab my sweater really quick in case it gets chilly later." I went to get it off the couch. "Mom, I'm heading out with Clay now," I called.

She appeared and came to give me a kiss. "Have a good time. Be home by midnight. Love you."

"I will. Love you too."

I left the house, and Clay walked me to his old, white VW Rabbit, pausing to open the door. I slid in. "Thank you," I mumbled under my breath.

I couldn't remember him ever doing this for me before. Something had definitely changed. I thought back to our tickle fight beside the pool today and felt a little sick. I didn't want things to be different between us. I was happy with the way they were. I was beginning to think my mom was right. Clay liked me.

"Oh, shoot!" I exclaimed as I glanced down, realizing I'd forgotten my purse.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I left my bag on the couch. I need my money for dinner and the movie." I moved, intending to get out.

"No worries. This is my treat." He smiled.

"Wait!" I heard my mom. She came running from the house with my handbag. "You forgot this, Cami! Hi, Clay. You look nice tonight," she added, giving him the once over.

He blushed a little and glanced away. "Thanks," he mumbled.

"Here you go, sweetie," Mom said, handing me my purse.

My relief was palpable. "Thank you. I just realized. I didn't want to make Clay pay for everything. It defeats the whole point of going Dutch, right?" I laughed nervously hoping I didn't sound stupid while I tried to make him understand we were not on a date.

My mom looked at me curiously. "Okay. Have fun!" She stepped back to the curb and Clay shut my door.

I clutched my bag tightly as I watched him walk around the car. I felt like I'd been cast in a role for a horror spot in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. My BFF had suddenly disappeared, replaced with someone who sort of looked like him, but this person had designs on me. I was having a hard time coming to terms with it. It was impossible to just wake up one morning and decide you weren't a science nerd anymore, but a jock instead. The social ladder didn't work that way—did it?