Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Hunter-

How R U? U awake? I retyped, pushed send and waited, lounging on my bed while I listened to some music, trying to calm my nervous energy. I couldn't stand not knowing any longer.

My phone buzzed, and I opened the text immediately. Hey. I'm good, thx. I kinda crashed after U brought me home. Sorry.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I read her message and then dialed her number.

"Hello?"

It was good to hear her voice. "I've been worried."

"Don't be. I'm fine, just wiped out. You know you're my hero now, right?"

I snorted. "Hardly, I was scared to death." That was an understatement of epic proportions. I was pretty sure my heart had stopped beating from the moment she slipped under to the second she was finally able to gasp for a breath.

"You didn't show it. You just swooped in and saved the day. You work well under pressure."

"I'm not so sure about that, but I was happy to help." I paused before continuing. "I guess you should go ahead and tell me how your dad is going to ban me from ever seeing you again."

"Actually, he's coming around. After I explained everything he even seemed a little impressed with your quick actions. I think it was my lack of clothes that bugged him the most . . . and knowing you'd seen me that way."

"Well, I couldn't very well leave you standing there dripping wet and freezing."

She laughed. "It's okay, Hunter, really. He gets it. He was nervous about you to begin with. I've never really dated guys like you before."

"Guys like me? Why does that sound like a bad thing?"

"I don't mean it badly at all. It was a compliment. Let's just say the guys I dated in the past were . . . geekier guys, for lack of better terminology. You're definitely not one of those, but I think geeky is what he's comfortable with."

"What are you comfortable with?" I wanted to know.

There was silence on the other end for several seconds. "I'm pretty comfortable with you, if that's what you're asking. I didn't think I would be, but I am. It's strange really."

"I'm glad you feel that way. I don't want you to be uneasy around me."

There was a moment of silence. "Would it be bad if I said I miss you?" she asked, and my pulse rate picked up. "I'm sorry I fell. I wanted to watch the sunset out there with you today. My carelessness cut our date short."

"Don't worry about it. There will be other dates." I groaned internally. I was determined to dig myself into a deeper hole it seemed.

"There will be?"

"If that's what you'd like." After today I was pretty much willing to give her whatever she wanted. I just needed her to be safe.

"I'd like that a lot." She gave a short laugh. "Did you know I dreamed about you while I was sleeping? I can smell your aftershave or something on your blanket. Sorry I didn't give it to you before you left. I'll wash and return it."

The image of her body wrapped up tightly in my bedding with her gorgeous red hair splayed about her pleased me to no end. Seventeen, dude, I reminded myself. Rein it in. "Keep it," I said. "I want you to have it."

"No, I don't want to steal your blanket," she protested.

"You aren't. I just gave it to you. Now you can tell me how much you like me." I grinned.