Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Cami-

I couldn't help my disappointment as I followed after Hunter. I wasn't going to lie to myself. He was hot, and I desperately wanted him to kiss me with those amazing looking lips of his. For some reason though, he still seemed reluctant, but I couldn't fathom why. If you liked someone you did what you had to do to be with him or her. Right? I wasn't any big expert on relationships, but it seemed easy enough.

I sighed with frustration, and the sound came out a little louder than I intended, causing Hunter to pause and look at me. He waited until I was beside him, and he loosely draped his arm around my shoulders, giving me a gentle squeeze.

He didn't say anything as we continued toward the field, but his actions spoke of attraction. He clearly didn't care who saw him with me, and I wondered if there was a way I could up my game, maybe tempt him into action a little faster.

That scared me, though. Given the tiny bit of information I knew about his past, I imagined he was probably a fire that would light fast—so quick it would consume me whole. Maybe I should be content to stand back and let him work through whatever issues he had. Let nature take its course, so to speak.

Hunter dropped his arm and faced the school, taking a picture of the wide sweeping grounds and buildings, which sprawled behind us. He adjusted his location and took some more of the athletic fields and structures. I wasn't sure what he found so fascinating about the place, but I lifted my camera and started looking through the view finder for things I found interesting, snapping the occasional picture of trees and plant life before casually turning and firing off several of him standing with his camera up to his eye.

He lowered it. "Did you just take a bunch of pictures of me?" he asked, a sly grin spreading across his face as if he were extremely pleased.

"I don't think so . . . ," I replied innocently. " . . . unless I caught you by accident when I was focusing on those buildings over there." I pointed past him, and he looked at the jumble of plain, brick walls across the parking lot.

"Uh huh. Sure." He lifted his camera and pointed it directly at me, clicking several times in succession.

I smiled and he continued to shoot away. "What're you doing?"

"I'm taking your picture." He paused. "Did you hear that? Your picture—not the ugly buildings behind you. I just want to show you how it's done."

My goodness he could make me feel so giddy. I couldn't stop smiling as I walked onto the track, shrinking down to take some images of the hurdles lined up on it.

I heard him beside me and looked over as he continued clicking.

I shook my head. "Mr. Adams is going to be mad that you used up all your film on me."

"So, I'll buy him more film." He shrugged it off as if it were no concern. "I like taking pictures of you."

"Well, I hope they don't turn out too scary."

"Not possible," he said assuredly before lowering the camera. We started walking around the track together, making our way to where the giant pole vaulting pad was set up. "You should grab the pole and pretend like you're gonna go for it, and I'll take a shot."

I laughed, running over and jumping on the giant foam mattress, flopping back against it. "This is about as close as you're gonna get! I have no desire to attempt a pole vault."

He looked at me with a smoky stare I could feel all the way to my toes. "This works too." He lifted his camera and took one single shot. "Do you have any idea how beautiful you are with your hair spread out around you like that?"