Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Cami-

Clay and I were still huddled together on the couch searching through costumes on my computer for the upcoming Masquerade when the doorbell rang.

"I wonder who that is?" I said, glancing toward the hallway.

"I'll get it," he replied, jumping up and heading from the room. I listened for a second and could hear him talking to someone.

"Who is it?" I called.

"No one," he answered back.

"Apparently I'm no one now," Hunter said with a grumble as he entered the room, coming to sit on the other side of the couch.

Clay stood in the entryway frowning at Hunter. "I didn't invite him in, Cami."

"No, he didn't," Hunter said, glaring. "But it didn't stop me from getting in here anyway, did it?" He glanced at me before picking up the remote and turning on the television.

I had no idea what was going on. "Did you need something, Hunter?"

"No." He waved a noncommittal hand in the direction of Clay. "You two continue with whatever you were doing. I'll just watch something."

"You don't have a T.V. at your own house?" Clay asked, coming to sit between us. He wasn't happy at all.

"I have three actually," Hunter replied.

"And you can't watch them there because . . ." Clay prompted.

"Because Cami isn't there."

Silence. Neither of us knew what to say, but I couldn't help the little thrill that went through me. I was surprised to see him. I figured he would walk the other way after our talk today, but it looked like that wasn't going to be the case.

"Clay, what do you think about this one?" I asked, trying to redirect his attention. He was looking at Hunter like he hoped he would spontaneously combust.

He glanced at the screen. "King Triton and a mermaid?"

"Yeah. It's kind of cool."

"Clay doesn't have the abs to pull that off," Hunter spoke, peering over. "You on the other hand would look fabulous as a mermaid."

I could feel Clay's temperature starting to boil. "I suppose you think you're the perfect one to pull off this costume?" he accused.

Hunter snorted. "I wouldn't be caught dead dressed up like that, but yeah, my abs would work." He was staring at me with a smoldering look, and suddenly it felt hot. It should be wrong for anyone to carry so much power in one expression.

I swallowed. "Okay, so no mer-people. How about some traditional costumes? The fancy ball gown, tuxedo, and matching masks?"

"Let's look," Clay said successfully redirected again. "I like that idea."

We combed through several images before coming across a beautiful gold dress and mask, with an accompanying black tuxedo, gold vest, tie with accents, and matching black mask.

"I love the mask on this costume, Clay. It reminds me of the Phantom in Point of No Return. It's sexy."

Hunter shifted uncomfortably.

"Then that's the one. I know how much you love that musical. I'm more than happy to be your Phantom-come-to-life for the night. Maybe I'll get you to sing for me too."

I laughed nervously. Boy, he was laying it on thick. "Sounds like fun."

"Cami and I watched that movie the other night on my bed," Hunter piped up. "Well, I should say we tried to watch it. We kept getting . . . distracted."