Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Cami-

I lifted my punch card and slipped it into the time clock, glancing briefly at the schedule on the wall beside it. I was working with Clay tonight it appeared. I was mildly surprised since we hadn't worked together in a while. There was also the word, "trainee," penciled in by my name. That confused me since I wasn't new.

Jon walked into the breakroom carrying a bunch of cleaning supplies to the closet.

"There's the word trainee written by my name," I said casually. "What's that for?"

"Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention you're helping the new guy tonight." He deposited the items he was holding onto their appropriate shelves.

"So you did hire someone finally. What's his name?"

Jon looked puzzled. "It's your friend you told me about, Hunter Wilder. I figured he would've told you. He came in and interviewed this afternoon with Jen. She seemed quite taken with him."

I turned away so he wouldn't see me roll my eyes as I deposited my purse into my employee locker. I bet she was impressed. Hunter probably laid the charm on so thick she didn't stand a chance.

I leaned my head against the locker and sighed heavily. Hunter and Clay together at my job. This was going to be a long night.

"Are you okay, Cami?" Jon asked, concerned.

Straightening up, I turned, giving him a bright smile. "I am, thanks. Just a long day at school today. I'll be fine. Where do you want me to train Hunter tonight?"

"I'm going to start him off with theater care. I restocked all the cleaning supplies for you two as well. I'll be leaving in a bit, but Jen will be in the office if you need anything."

"Okay. Thanks."

Jon gave me a smile and left.

This was good. Only two people usually worked theater care at a time. That meant Clay would be in the snack bar with Mandy or Shane or in the ticket window. Hopefully, I could keep Hunter and him apart for most of the night.

Of course, this also meant the two of us would be spending a lot of time together without anyone else around. That made my pulse race a little, but I was bound and determined to keep him at a professional distance.

"Hey, Cami," Clay's voice interrupted my thoughts, and startled, I jumped.

He gazed over me and gave a lazy half smile of appreciation. "Did I catch you by surprise?"

"Yeah. I didn't hear the door open." I fidgeted with the hem of my dark-blue uniform shirt with the red theater logo embroidered in the upper left corner.

Clay looked at my hands curiously, before glancing back to my face. "Are you all right? You seem nervous."

I nodded. "I'm fine. I need to tell you something, though."

His eyes narrowed suspiciously. "What?"

"I'm training a new employee tonight."

He waited for me to give him more information, but I didn't continue. "Who?"

"Apparently Hunter got a job here this afternoon."

Clay didn't say a word, but his jaw clenched. He walked over to his locker, opened it, pulled out his name badge, and began fastening it to his shirt.

"Where's he starting?" he finally asked.

"In theater care. Where are you working?"

"Snack bar," he replied tersely.