[11]

Shawn

***

As I was laying on the edge of the bed, my knees bending off the end, there was a knock at my hotel door.

I groan and go to answer it, hoping to God it wouldn't be Sarah. If it was her, I would most likely slip up and dump her right then and there.

But the person standing in front of me was most definitely not Sarah.

It was someone else entirely.

"Mum?"

I stare at the woman before me, her face a powdery white with rosy cheeks, a smile pressed upon her face as she outstretches her arms for a hug.

I stay stiff as I wrap my arms around her small body, still not used to seeing her here, in front of me.

"What are you doing here?"

She smiles. "I came to see you!"

"In London?"

"Well, you called about Elliot and I guess I just wanted to make sure you're okay. Plus, I wanted to see London. What all the fuss was about. Do you have anyone in there with you?"

It took me a while to realize she was actually asking me a question.

"What? Oh, no -"

Before I could even finish my answer, she was already shuffling inside and closing the door behind her. She sets her black suitcase up against the wall.

"Mum, where's Aaliyah?" I ask, leaning against the door.

She stares at me.

"She's with your dad," she finally answers. "She wanted to come, but, since it's only for two days I couldn't afford to buy a separate plane ticket."

"I understand," I say. "I just miss her."

Suddenly I catch myself and widen my eyes, stepping towards Mum with an apologetic look on my face.

"Not that I didn't miss you, I just -"

"Shawn, don't throw yourself at me, I just got here. Relax and let me relax," she says, sitting on the end of the bed.

"I can take the couch," I offer, walking into the living room area and throwing the cushions off the leather couch one by one.

Mum doesn't object, because when I look over, it looked like she was already asleep.

I laugh and walk back over to her, throwing the blanket over her body gently and kissing her on the forehead.

"Goodnight, Mum," I whisper, which is something I haven't said in quite a while.

Then I walk back over to the couch, pull a blanket over my body, and lean back on the pillow.

I shut my eyes at first, but then the door to the room creaks open.

The lights flicker on.

I stand up and rush to the door upon realizing it was Sarah, shutting the lights back off. She gives me a confused look, but I just point to my Mum's sleeping body on the bed and a wave of realization washes over her face.

"Oh, Shawn, I didn't know she was -"

"It's fine," I say, stepping out into the hallway with her where I could see her. Her blonde hair was pulled up into a loose bun, and her eyes were full of excitement.

"What do you need?" I ask her.

"Are you too tired to come back to my room?"

I stare at her. "Um.. "