17: Until I Met You

Chapter 17

As my eyes focused on Cason, who had his back to me, I was still frozen in the sand.

Slipping my flip flops off quietly in the sand, I took a deep breath and proceeded to walk slowly out towards the end of the rickety looking pier.

Even though you could still hear my footsteps as I stepped on the worn out pieces of wood, I was thankful that I decided to discard my shoes, as they would’ve just ruined the serenity of the moment.

I wasn’t a genius, but as I reached the end of the dock and sat down in the empty space beside Cason, I realized that he must have heard me coming up the dock. There wasn’t another way to explain the fact that he didn’t react to me at all, and I will be the first to admit, if somebody were to suddenly turn up beside me out of the blue, I would at least jump at their sudden appearance.

I let my feet grace the surface of the water slightly as I settled myself into a relaxing position on the dock.

Breathing the sea-side air into my nostrils, I released the air gently as I released that I would have to be the one to start this conversation.

“So, you just decided that today would be a perfect chance to relax on a pier instead of going to school and being bothered with all the drama that is roaming around the school.” I commented, taking a really lame route at breaking the ice. “Oh, and let’s not forget about the education you could’ve got today… such a stupid concept, isn’t it?” I finished, turning my face slightly to peek at Cason.

I had an eyebrow raised in question as Cason finally pivoted his head in my direction with a blank expression on his face.

Our small stare down lasted only a couple of seconds before Cason cracked a small smile at my lame statements and chuckled slightly.

“Was that the best you could come up with?” he asked with a slight teasing tone attached to his words. In the middle of his question, he averted his gaze and set his sights on the beautifully calm waters that lay in front of us.

Shaking my feet off a little bit, I brought them up onto the pier, bringing my knees up to my chest as I also brought my arms around to hug them tightly. “It was the only thing that came to mind.” I replied quietly, letting the slight breeze blow strands of my hair around in the wind.

We were both quiet for a little while longer, however, this time it was Cason that broke the sound of silence.

“How did you find me?” he asked, and if my ears weren’t trying to deceive my, I’m pretty sure that there was a slight sense of vulnerability to his voice at this moment.

“Well since you chose to ignore me all weekend,” I started with, sending a quick and aggravated glare at the side of Cason’s head before painting my face with a neutral expression. “I decided to take matters into my own hands and ask Evan where the hell you were.”

“And he told I would be sitting here?” he inquired.