Chapter 21: Love Hurt

"Those who really love you don't mean to hurt you and if they do, you can't see it in their eyes but it hurts them too." ― Holly Black

(Unedited)
Zandros' POV

I was in my office very early since I was up too early. The thought of her never left my head, making my night miserable. I don't know since when, I had a really good long sleep.

I was just done talking to my company's accountant and financial advisor about the new prospective engineering firm based in New York, being in the market, for a very great deal and surely will put my company on top of the list of the biggest firms in the world, if being merged into one.

I reread the analysis my financial Advisor just sent me and tried to find any disqualifications. But it seems like with a little input and a good finances the whole firm will surely bring fortune to my company.

I felt my eyes getting a bit sore from non-stop reading, so I closed it for a bit and tried to relax my eyes. I opened my eyes and check the time. It's just 10 in the morning. Ayumi should be here in an hour. Just as I was about to stand up, my phone rang.

"Speak." I began.

"Sir, there's an Ayumi here that wants to see you." Naeah said in her professional tone.

"Send her in!" I replied coldly and I ended the call.

Not long, the door opened, revealing Ayumi looking beautiful in her short sleeve black dress that reach mid thigh. Her dyed brown hair made her look glowing. Her almond brown eyes was staring at me dancing with joy. She looks excited and carefree.

I groaned inwardly. She could be flirty sometimes and I knew this is going to be a long day.

"Hi Zandros! You're office looks extravagant!" she smiled, with her thick accent, as she roamed her eyes around my spacious room. Then she look back at me and walk to my direction, as I stood up and welcomed her with a hug but instead he kissed me in the cheeks. Then he stood closer and she hoisted her purse on her shoulder and tried to fix my tie. I felt so awkward.

I didn't utter any word because I don't want to offend her. Her smell was too strong for my taste. I cringed inwardly. I tried to imagine Lauren on her, trying to fix my tie. With her adorable doe eyes and very long lashes that I could stare all day.

Then I heard a fake cough. I looked to see who it was and I was stunned, tongue-tied. How long they have been standing there? And how on earth I didn't hear it?

My eyes was locked on hers. And all that feelings I tried to ignore came flooding back to me. Making me feel overwhelmed with mixed emotions. She look hurt but then she concealed it swiftly, giving me a poker face.

I felt like I was caught stealing. I lost my tongue. Then, I felt Ayumi's hand loop on my arm tugging it gently and I look on her and she smiled sweetly.

I felt like a hot water just poured into my frozen state, making my head, functions back to normal.

"Ayumi, I want you to meet my sister, Christine and this is her best friend, Lauren Leventis." I introduced. I don't know if it's wise to say my ex, and at the same time the thought of him and Mario sleeping just made it all easy for me to decide.

I saw hurt in her eyes but I ignored it. I tried not to feel any. I blocked my heart to feel any pain.

"Ladies, this is Ayumi Hayashi." I added.

"It was nice meeting you Christine and Lauren." Ayumi extended her hand as she smiled widely. Lauren and Christine took her hand and had a handshake, but too brief as they both force a smile. Ayumi didn't notice their indifference.