Chapter 3

Nate and I walked into the dining room where Cindy had the table set, her on one end, dad on the other.  Nate and I were on the one side and Tommy and Andrew were across from us.  I sat down across from Tommy and next to my dad as Nate sat next to me.  We passed around the different foods until everyone's plate was full.

"This is really good" Nate said after he had a few bites.

"Thank you" Cindy smiled at him.

"So Nate" My dad started and I took a deep breath "What do you do? Are you in school or do you work?" My dad asked.

"I graduated two years ago and I'm a rapper now actually" Nate said. 

"A rapper?" My dad asked raising his eyebrows and Nate nodded.

"Dad be nice" I said and he nodded.

"I am I'm just asking" He said.  "What's good in being a rapper?" My dad asked.

"Dad!" I said loudly.

"It's fine" Nate said, reaching his hand over and resting it on my thigh.  No one seemed to notice which is good.  "I make decent money and it's something I really enjoy.  I get to travel to play different shows and its a great time" Nate said and my dad nodded.

"I saw you have some tattoos?" My dad asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Why don't you talk to Andrew? He is here too you know" I said.  Nate squeezed my thigh and I looked over at Cindy as she looked at me sympathetically.

"Sorry" She mouthed and I shrugged and rolled my eyes.  Tommy chuckled a little bit so I kicked his leg under the table.

"Ow!" He yelled and I stuck my tongue out at him. 

"Yeah I do have a few" Nate nodded.

"Do they mean anything?" My dad asked and Nate nodded.  Nate went on to explain the meaning of his tattoos and I was very interested to know.  "We're not big on tattoos around here"

"I like tattoos" I said.  "I think they're nice" I shrugged.

"You do?" Dad asked raising an eyebrow and I nodded.  "You're never going to get one you hear me?" He asked.

"I would never" I said shaking my head.  Nate took another few bites of his food to keep himself from laughing as my dad moved on to talk to everyone else.

"Tommy how's your ankle?" My dad asked.

"A little sore now" He said through gritted teeth.  I had no idea I kicked his bad ankle, now I feel bad.  Tommy played football his first year in college and hurt his ankle and it hasn't been the same since and I probably just made it worse.

"Sorry" I said looking over at him.  "I thought I kicked your other one" I said.

"It's fine" Tommy sighed "But if I need another surgery you're paying" He said and I laughed.

"Yeah when I get the money" I said rolling my eyes and he chuckled.  

"I don't get you two" Cindy said looking between Tommy and I.

"What do you mean?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.  I had finished everything I wanted to eat and placed my hands in my lap, my one hand resting over Nate's that's still on my thigh.

"You two were arguing like you were five a few hours ago and now you're joking with each other" She said and I shrugged.

"That's just how we do" Tommy shrugged looking over at me.  He looked downwards and I knew he saw Nate's hand and I glared at him.  He looked up at me and winked, signaling he wouldn't say anything and I smiled.