CHAPTER 5

Ruby St. Clair's POV

Few days had been passed since I married Roman and the more time I spent with him the more I realized how charming he can be. After the truce he bargained in the restaurant where we dined on our wedding I discovered a great deal about him and truer to his words we established a great friendship-at least, for my part. He didn't try to seduce me anymore after our wedding day, instead, we became friends.

On Christmas Day, I cooked a special dinner for him and we dined at a candle lights table. I have to admit that it was quite romantic. He gave me a necklace from-ironically, St. Clair Diamonds, my family's jewelry business. It was a beautiful necklace with a ruby teardrop pendant to match my hair, he said. I was reluctant to accept such a gift from him because Roman bought me so many clothes that I couldn't possibly wear all of them in my three months stay here.

He told me to think of them as my uniform while I work for him as his pretend wife. He said he couldn't let his wife be seen in public with the same clothes each time when we argue again about the excessive clothes.

I bought him a fountain pen with the money I save from my last trip to Portugal since I don't know what gift I should buy for him. It's hard to give a gift to a man who already had everything in life and the gifts that suited him were pricey. Right now, I was alone in his living room reading a cooking magazine waiting for him to return from work.

When the front door opened. Finally, he was here! I thought with such pleasure. I was already on my feet to meet him in the doorway.

"Hello, mi esposa!" He greeted me with a warm smile and kissed me on the cheek like he used to do when he came back from work. "Get dress."

"Where are we going?" I asked him, as we walk further inside his house. We used to seat in the living room area as we chat about our day before dinner that's the routine we used to do.

"To my mother," He replied with a slight grimace. "She's setting me up for another blind date when I told her that I already have a wife. She told me that she wanted to meet you so she can be sure that you are not a product of my imagination."

"Oh..." I don't know what to say. I was honestly lost for words about his sudden announcement. I have forgotten the main reason he wanted a wife so his mother would stop shoving unmarried ladies to him. "What should I wear, Roman?"

"Something smart and sexy, maybe?" He grinned mischievously in my direction. "You pick. I know you have a great fashion sense."

I hid my smile at his flirtatious voice. "Leave it to me. I think I know what kind of dress you have in mind."

"You have no idea what I have in mind." He muttered under his breath, as I left him in the living room to prepare for my encounter with his mother.

We arrived at the beautiful mansion in Madrid. Roman had parked his car in the courtyard and helped me slid out of the car.

"Nice home," I muttered softly, as I stared at the proud two-story mansion before us.

"Sí." Roman agreed with a smile like he was very proud of this house. He held my hand as he led me to the front door. Our wedding rings glinted from the sunlight. "My mother loves this house. My father had built it for her as a wedding present."

Inside the beautiful classic Spanish-styled mansion. I cannot help but be amazed by how elegant the living room was. Cream walls with priceless paintings and figurines to complement the room. A middle-aged woman standing regally in the living room caught my attention.

His mother?

Before I could study the elegant woman fully Roman spoke. "Madre. This is Red, my wife. Red, this is my mother, Evita."