Drunk

"I don't want to," I said while laying under the covers of my queen size bed with Cesar standing at the end of it.
"Yes! You have to, its tradition!" Said Cesar. "I have done that stupid tradition since I was six, he's forty six years old, I highly doubt he'll care if I miss this year now leave and let me sleep! I've been staying up late doing homework for the past months, we're on break so go AWAY!"
Since school went on break that Friday, I've been home sleeping, eating, watching Netflix, bathroom breaks here and there then repeat. So today happens to be Sunday, and also happens to be Pedi's forty six birthday, man he's old. Our family, always on birthdays, does breakfast in bed, then one sings "Las Mañanitas." It's traditional Mexican birthday song sung right when the day of the man/woman or boy/girl birthday and or in the mornings. Pedi sings it to Cesar and I right when we woke up. He'd walk through my room door, guitar in hand and sang. Those are one of my favorite memories as a kid. Still now actually.
"Wake up and come back to reality, Alicia you know him! He'll be upset if you don't sing Las Mañanitas on his birthday! He loves hearing you sing in Spanish. Wouldn't you be upset on your day, right when you wake up Pedi doesn't walk into room singing. I mean you alway used to say that that song alway started your day off to a great start. Also.. imagine if it was José," Cesar told me but said the last part softly. He never really brought up my dad before. Him mentioning my dad some how made me realize, what the hell am I doing right now. I sat up in bed pulling the covers off of me and I just looked at him for a second. Then I spoke. "You're right. I'm sorry. I should of never said what I said." I looked over at the clock. 5:50am. "You go down stairs, get started on the breakfast, I'll get the guitar tuned." "Great! I'll get started right away," Cesar said walking out the door with a smile on his face. "Cesar!" I yelled. He came back into the room confused. "Yah, what?" "Thanks. For knocking some sense into me about Pedi and... I guess I've been out of it lately, well more like a lot and just not caring anymore. Maybe I should just forget about him." Cesar walked into the room and said, " Don't thank me I guess we just need to be out of it for a while or in your case a month or two, then come back to reality. Glad you're moving on but maybe get over him after the party but that's if he even comes." "Fantastic," I replied sarcastically and quite annoyed. "Go cook I'll be down in a second." I said pushing him out the door.

-

"Gracias. Thank you. La comida.. was really good, muy bueno. Y Alicia, the song, me encanta tu voice cuando cantas." " I know, I do sound good when I sing that song don't I," I laughed. "Nice. Anyways happy birthday dad." Cesar said smiling. "Yeah! Feliz Cumpleaños!" I added.
When I was cleaning up the kitchen then getting the house cleaned when everyone and I mean everyone comes my phone started ringing without looking who it was I answered.
"Hello?"
"Ahh! We knew it was true and Cesar wasn't messing with us!"
I looked to see who it was and it happened to be Anna.
"Hi to you too Anna and I'm also guessing Tris?"
"Yup, she said hi, so is the normal Alicia back? No more hiding or being 'depressed'."
"Yah. I guess you can say I'm starting off all new today," I said smiling even though she can't see me.
"Good! So I got to go, we're getting ready for this Mexican celebration," Anna said laughing.
"Okay see you later today, bye," then I hung up.
New start today. Hopefully. I sound like one of those girls on New Years saying new year, new me.

-

"Alicia! Hurry up the guys are here and so are Anna and Tris! Pedi wants us to put food outside before everyone comes!" Cesar yelled.
"Coming!"
I looked back in the mirror, smoothed my moonflower maxi skirt down, fixed my white crop top and went down stairs. Cesar was right, they were all here. Well except Nate.
"Damn! You don't look like shit babe. You look hot!" Anna said walking up to me giving me a tight hug. "Yah if I wasn't single, I'd tap that," Sammy said while Anna gave him 'oh really face' "you're lucky I'm letting that slide cause I'm in a good mood that Alicia's out of her shell." "We all are," Jack said putting his arm around my waist pulling me into a hug. I looked up and smiled at him then he returned it with his signature big white smile. This is going to be one good night.
I sat at a table with all my aunts, uncles and cousins laughing. One of my uncles was so drunk he handed me his Corona bottle and said 'eres diecisiete años son la edad suficiente para tener un sorbo' not going to lie it wasn't my first but he didn't have to know that. All of us were having such a good night. Dancing to the fast beats of the Mexican songs playing and I loved the ones with the mariachi group. I had to make Jack dance to one of those, it was hilarious to watch. As the day came to an end and we were all cleaning up outside. "Man you guys sure know how to throw a party, even with little kids running around," laughed Jack. "You should of seen her Quinceañera, now that that was a party," Cesar said walking by and into the house hearing our conversation. Minutes later Cesar ran back outside. "Guess who's gone for the night," Cesar yelled scaring all of us. "Who," Johnson said not knowing what's really going on. Then I realized where this was all going to. Cesar looked at me and smiled. "Oh my god! Secret stash?" "Secret stash baby!" Cesar yelled running back into the house. By now everyone was looking at me with confused expression. "Oh come on!" I said grabbing Jack's arm with everyone following behind. Once we got to the basement that's when we were bombarded with the question. "So this is what this door was for," Tris said looking around the room. "Alright I need answers what's going on? What secret stash are you talking about, how come we've never been in here cause this place is dope and who's gone!" Sam said supper confused. Cesar and I looked at each other. "Pedi left for the night cause one of his brother from Mexico, who came to the party, came and is leaving soon so he wanted to catch up with him." Cesar told everyone. Then I explained. "Well to answer all of those confused faces and your question Sammy. Cesar and I aren't allowed done here, Pedi says its off limits for us. I guess you can say this is his "man cave". He comes down here when all our uncles come over but anyways we found the key one day came inside and then we found his secret stash. Took a while to guess the code but we got it." Then I turned around looking at Cesar. That's when he opened the dark tinted glass door of the safe. I looked back at everyone, let's just say that this night just began.

-

We were laughing drinking playing with the pool table, playing video games and drinking everything was so dizzy. I had to hold on to something if not I'll fall flat on my face.. again. "I'm hungry." I laughed. "Then go hungry....no wait I mean go eat.. Yah that's what I meant." Tris laughed onto Anna's shoulder you was messing with her hair. "Imma goooo" I said stumbled up that stairs. "Food. Food. Alicia wants. Fooood!" I ended up with water so we need to go to the grocery store. I walked out of the kitchen but tripped over my own feet. Instead of hitting the floor I was caught and was safe in this mystery guys arms. I looked up to see..
"Nateee! Whatcha doing here. You missed a really... really great party! Hehe. That ohhhh you didn't show up to." I stumbled out of his grip trying to walk to the basement door. "Alicia are you drunk." "Me! Dr-drunk.. no just..living life to the fullest."

Nate's POV

Yup she was definitely drunk at seventeen. Come on Alicia you should know better by now. "Alright Alicia I think you had enough drinking for the day." I said stopping her and picking her up putting her on my shoulder, setting her on the couch. "No we're having fun! If you can have fun so can I! Since when do you c-care." "I've always cared." "Oh really!" I could tell that she was starting to sober up a bit with the attitude that she gave me when she said that. "If you always cared why did I cry myself to sleep that night you said Rebecca was you're girlfriend. Did you mess with my emotions because you cared. I liked you and all you did was push me away!" " I didn't want to hurt you Alicia! Look I did this cause you needed better and I'm not having this conversation. I just came cause the guys weren't home and I just... should of stayed home." I yelled walking away from the couch putting my hands though my hair. "You know. Doing what you did for the past month almost two hurt me even more then what you thought you were doing to not hurt me." Alicia said in a small whisper but loud enough for me to hear. I looked back at her. She was looking away from me. Was this really true. I thought, I thought wrong this whole time. I'm such an idiot. I should of never gone back to my old ways. I walked back to her and crouched down in front of her putting my hand on her knee. Then I looked at her. Her eyes, all I saw was sadness, loneliness. Then she spoke again. " If you still care Nate.. kiss me." She whispered to me. And so I did.

-8901234567 years later. I'm baaaaack