Chapter Three - We All Die In The End

[Please take a moment to vote for the chapter! Thank you very much!]

“Open,” Hart asked for the tenth time, his voice getting deeper and less patient.

Riley kept his mouth closed, moving his face away every time Hart tried to force the spoon into his mouth. Both of them were having a mental war and the spoon was the battle field. It was completely unnecessary, or so Hart thought. Riley needed to eat and he wasn't giving in. Three days it had been now. Riley needed food.

“If you don't open your mouth I will use my tools, and I don't think you want that.”

“Fuck you.”

Irritated, Hart dropped the spoon back on the bowl and it splashed soup across Riley's face. They glared at each other, and it was the first time Hart was showing anger. He was never angry. There was no room for it in him. It made him more angry to think about it.

“You need to eat,” Hart stressed.

“I'm a vegetarian,” Riley replied back, mimicking Hart's tone.

“Not anymore,” Hart said calmly, his emotions disappearing once again, leaving behind emptiness. His eyes though, his eyes told a different story. He wasn't sure if he was amused or more annoyed at Riley.

“Doesn't matter what I am. You're going to kill me, so why are you trying to feed me?” Riley asked, watching Hart as he placed the bowl back on the table where he killed people – very appetizing.

Hart left after that, not bothering to answer Riley's question. It wasn't his place to ask the questions. Riley just needed to comply if he wanted to live. It was that simple. Hart was giving him a chance, something he never did to anyone. Riley bought something new to the game. He made it entertaining.

Hart didn't know much about Riley, but from what he had gathered, he was very obstinate. It made it difficult for Hart not to kill him faster. But . . . he didn't want to kill him. At least not yet. He was hoping Riley would give him something that was worth saving him. Something abstract, not touchable, something that only existed inside of him. A pure, innocent piece that he could have.

Hart had to leave his house after Riley refused to eat. He had to go to the only place he knew would help him; the grocery store. Hart had only ever been there once when he ran out of food. He wasn't a big eater so groceries usually lasted a very long time. He mostly gathered his food from his backyard. He had orange trees, apple trees, a garden of berries his mother had created – which he kept alive through the years as to not let her memory fade with the decease of the garden. He also tended a large field of crops from rice, to corn to even pumpkins. He could easily make Riley something vegetarian, but those things were sacred to him. They all belonged to his mother. He wouldn't dare share it with someone else.

The grocery store was mostly empty. The female employees were gathered around in a group by the staff room, chatting quietly with their phones out. The male employees were busy stacking cans and re-adjusting products in different aisles.

Hart remembered seeing a vegetarian section that came with food already prepared, like sandwiches and even pizza. It would save Hart the trouble of cooking again. He had already spent enough time making the soup only to be wasted. He wasn't going down that road again. He should have just given him cereal.

Indeed, there was a vegetarian section. There were so many options, so many non-meat options. He must have looked confused because a female employer approached him and asked him if he needed help.