Chapter Eighty-One "Leah"

When Leah did not join us for supper, I made arrangements to take her a platter myself. It probably would have been a better idea to let one of the servants take the tray upstairs and then letting me have it at the door, but no, I was doing this. So it might have taken me longer, but I took my time, trying to keep from spilling a drop. I was lucky when Mr. Nassar was in the hall, I got him to knock for me and then he hurried away. "Your dinner, Miss," I called after Leah's inquiry of who was knocking. I hoped she did not realize it was me and I waited patiently for her to open the door.

"Margaret? What are you doing?" she gasped.

"I brought you something to eat," I laughed holding up the tray, "Can I please set this down now? It's much harder than it looks." As she stepped aside I rushed to the accent table and set the tray on it, "I don't see how Charlotte can do this without complaining. Next time she brings me something, I shall thank her doubly over."

"But why are you . . . "

I turned to my friend, "I should not have yelled at you so," I tried to keep my eyes from leaving from hers, "I know that you did not set out to hurt me . . . but to keep Isaac," a breath escaped my lips involuntarily, "to keep Isaac on my mind."

"And your heart," Leah added, "I don't want him to lose his place in there."

"Neither do I," I tried my best to smile and nod politely before continuing, "Although I think there might be something else that kept you from dinner . . . " I hinted, "something that sent you from view as we returned to the house?" I sat at the small table and poured a cup of tea, then offered it to her with an inquisitive look, she nibbled her thumb for a moment, keeping her eyes from me. "Please confide in me, Leah?"

Her eyes darted around the room, soon she was almost pacing, "He went after you . . . " it was barely audible but since I was concentrating on my friend, I caught it.

"Of course Freddie would follow me," I began with a smile.

Leah turned immediately and shook her head, "Not him . . . "

"Do you mean Mr. Nassar? Owen?" She nodded then let her eyes drift away from mine. Her arms were wrapped around her body, almost as if she were hugging herself, keeping herself together.

"Leah, you have to know that I did nothing to urge him . . . "

"I know," she sighed coming towards me slowly, "but seeing you with him like that . . . it felt strange . . . in here," she let her hand lay over her heart. "Then the elder Mr. Nassar said something about my coloring and . . . and I came here." She finally took the cup I held out to her and sat opposite me. "I don't understand."

I smiled warmly, "I do." She looked up, a little scared but a little excited too, "You like him, don't you?" Leah timidly nodded her head, then let her eyes look towards the window as a warm pink colored her cheeks. "There is no need for embarrassment, he is a very kind and sweet man." I saw her eyes glance my way, "And forgive me for this, but I was hoping that you and he would . . . find each other."

After a brief sip of tea, she set down her cup, "I don't know what to do . . . or how to act . . . I've never been around someone like him," I could see her getting anxious.

"Leah, don't worry," I reached out across the table and took her hand, "just be yourself. Be open . . . love tends to find a way, doesn't it?"

We spent several hours talking quietly in her room. I felt at a loss with some of her questions since I did not have a mother to school me in the ways of love and romance. And knowing her mother as I did, she wasn't taught as well. Soon our earnest discussion became more of an onslaught of giggles as we shared our thoughts, ideas and dreams of love. There were times when I wondered if I should be talking to her of her brother, remembering how it was for me when Jonathon and Emily were starting their romance. Leah did not seem to mind, in fact she was full of interest . . . perhaps it was because she and Isaac have been apart for so long . . . or perhaps it was something else.

The next morning Leah came late to breakfast. As she entered the room, all talking and eating came to a stop. In the course of a night, she went from a timid child to a young woman. Her lovely long curls were no longer dancing down her back, and instead she wore her hair up with a satin band around her head. As handsome as she was, she could have been one of the goddess statues stepping out from the gardens. She nodded to Freddie and Patience with a quiet, "Good morning." The room returned the greeting and I quietly watched the faces of everyone around the table as she moved to take her seat beside me.

After a few awkward moments as everyone began enjoying their meal once again, Freddie cleared his throat, "Well, what do you two have planned for the day?"

"It looks to be a lovely day," I answered, "I thought Leah and I would tour the grounds and do some painting." I turned to her and nodded, wanting her to agree with me without further thought.

"Yes," she caught on quickly, "I could use some practice." She smiled sweetly and then turned her attention to the omelet that was set in front of her.

"Oh, very good then," Freddie smiled dabbing his mouth with his napkin, "If there's anything you need, just let me know." He turned to look down the table, "Would you still like to come to town with me today, Mr. Nassar? Owen?"

Mr. Nassar nodded enthusiastically while he gave his breakfast his full attention, but Owen had not taken his eyes off of Leah, "A-actually, I think . . . I think I'll stay behind and keep the young ladies company." We both looked up at him, "If you wouldn't mind, that is."

I felt Leah tap me under the table, "You are most welcome to join us, Mr. Nassar," I nodded and then took a sip of juice. I tried not to look beside me, but I could feel Leah smiling.