21. Promises

As we pulled up to the restaurant, I took the chance to look out the window and admire the decorative building. The roof was strung with white Christmas lights, and the walls were lined with transparent glass, allowing me to see the interior. White table cloths draped over circular tables, with a single rose in a vase on each table.

"This looks so nice," I said, turning to Shawn who was smiling widely.

He shrugged, giggling. "I'm glad you think so,"

Shawn got out of his car and raced over to my door, opening it for me like a gentlemen. He took my hand and I stepped out down, my heels hitting the concrete.

We walked with our hands intertwined to the front door, entering the building and being greeted by a kind hostess. "Hi, welcome. Do you have a reservation?" she asked, shoving a couple menus under her arm. Shawn gave me an "I-got-you" look, before turning back to the hostess, saying,"Yes, it's under the name Shawn Mendes?" She looked down her list, her finger sliding down the page before stopping and tapping on something. "Yep. Right here, Shawn Mendes party of two for seven o'clock? Just in time. Follow me."

We obeyed her directions and followed her to a table in the very back of the restaurant. I slid into my chair and Shawn sat across from me.The woman placed menus in front of each of us and then walked away, leaving me and Shawn alone.

In the background a pianist was playing a beautiful tune on a solid white piano in the corner of the large room.

I picked up the menu, scanning the options and looking at their prices. It was quite expensive. I decided to speak up.

"Shawn, this place is so nice. Why did you want to come to such a nice restaurant? This is great and all, but honestly I would have just been fine with Chinese take-out. I mean, I really appreciate you taking me here, but -- Oh my god they have smoked salmon!" I said, getting interrupted by a selection on the menu.

Shawn laughed at me, then replied. "Well, I just wanted to treat you right."

"Aw, thank you. And I know what I'm getting to eat."

A waiter interrupted us and stood at the end of the table asking what we wanted to drink. "I'll take a water." I said, looking at Shawn.

"Me too,"

"Okay, two waters. I'll be right back with those." the waiter said, grinning at us before waltzing back into the kitchen.

"Anyway, the salmon does sound good, I might just get that too." Shawn declared, shutting his menu. "I don't remember the last time I had salmon." he said.

"It's been a while for me too." I retorted.

"Here are your waters." the waiter said as he placed two glasses in front of us, condensation lining the perimeter of the cup. "Ready to order?"

Shawn and I both gladly ordered the salmon, (which was $20.00 for each meal) and then, once again, the waiter turned back to the kitchen.

Silence hung in the space around us as I noticed Shawn profoundly gazing at me. He looked so focused that I became a bit self conscious, even though I knew, Shawn would never even think about judging me.

I eventually gave in to the feeling and shyly spoke, "Why are you staring at me?"

A smile tugged at the corner of his rosy pink lips as he opened his mouth to talk. "Because you're unbelievable. You're an impeccable beauty, inside and out. You're an amazing person. I can't believe how lucky I am to have you in my life. You make me so happy. I am so in love with you, Olivia, and I want to officially call you mine. What do you say? We're both so utterly and madly in love with each other, so why don't we employ in the feeling and just be boyfriend and girlfriend already. This may sound like some cliché movie scene, but it's the truth. And I want you to know how much you mean to me. You're my favorite person. My angel. My savior. My soulmate. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you, because I am so in love with you. Honestly, fuck everything, I don't care who or what intrudes in what we have, you're all I want. All I'll ever want. I love you with all of my heart and soul. That's how it will be forever. So, my love, would you be mine?"

His words wrapped around my heart as I realized how much affection I truly had for him. My eyes had become glassy with tears, and the amount of love was so immense that my heart felt like it was shattering into a million tiny pieces. I always expected the feeling to come during a breakup.

I could tell what he said was genuine due to the fact that he looked like he was about to cry. His words had left me speechless. "I love you so much." I said, that was all I could come up with.

"I love you more, though." he replied.

"So, now we can officially call each other boyfriend and girlfriend?" I asked.

"If that's okay with you,"

I laughed weakly, wiping an escaped tear off my cheek. "Of course it is. Marry me one day, okay?" I whispered.

"No problem, beautiful." he said,"But why are you crying?"

I shook my head, chuckling at myself. "Because I'm so in love with you, Shawn."

Shawn unintentionally tilted his head sideways, smirking. His tongue brushed against his lips as he reached his hand into his pocket, his fingers wrapping around a small cubical box. He pulled it out, and I gasped, slapping my hand over my mouth in shock.

"Shawn, oh my god. I love you, but when I said that I meant in the future. We're too--"

"It's not a proposal, Olivia. It's just a promise ring." Shawn cut me off.

He opened the blue velvety box to reveal a tiny silver band. He outstretched his arm, signaling me to place my hand in his. Shawn clutched the ring between his fingers as he slid it onto mine. Strangely enough, it fit perfectly.

"I love it. Thank you, Shawn. What am I promising by wearing this, though?" I questioned, twisting the ring in circles as I stared down at it.

"That one day we'll get married. Not quite yet, though. And until the day I can give you a real wedding ring, you can wear that." he answered.

"Then I promise."

- - -
(A/N) 6/28/15

I cannot even begin to explain the trouble I went through to write this. It deleted twice, causing me to write it three times. Each time I wrote it, though, it became even better. The second time it deleted was when it was already published. It was a malfunction between the app and my laptop, but let me tell you, I was sobbing. I was so upset that it was gone and I had to rewrite my work again, after I put so much work in the last one. Another part of it was the embarrassment of having an unfinished, unedited piece of shit published and I didn't know how long it was up. So yea. Please enjoy. I love you if you read all this.

- sophia :)