XXII - Collateral Damage

</3 This is so sad. 

Good To You perfectly describes this chapter. :'( Sigh.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Twenty-Two

Marcel and a few of his saddened other vampires led Thierry down the stairs, and out of the abattoir, making quite a scene at the same time. Klaus led me to the balcony, where we watched the scene unfold silently.

I hated the fact that Thierry was going to the garden, and he was being punished for protecting the one that he loved... But it was the only way to get Elijah back.

If Klaus ever gets control of the quarter, he has already promised me that he will get Thierry back.

It happened so fast... Katy suddenly appeared in the street. She blew out some of the lights, and a moment later, every vampire in the street was on his or her knees, holding their head in pain.

And, there he was. standing right beside me on the balcony as we watched the horror unfold below us. Neither him or Rebekah had told me anything about this plan they had. I thought that they were only going to become temporary allies with Marcel and take him down, but instead, they wanted to kill my friend as well.

In their minds, Thierry was nothing but collateral damage.

I sensed the power, and it wasn't Katy's. It was Davina's. She was giving Marcel the power he needed to at least stand a chance against Katy. Her powers meant next to nothing to him.

Marcel slowly stood up, seeming almost animalistic as he did.

I wanted to go forwards. I wanted to stop all of this before someone else lost their life. Klaus grabbed my arm, holding me still.

"Don't," he whispered from beside me, and I yanked my arm from his hand as an angered reply.

Could I really trust this man? Or... was he only keeping me out of the loop to keep me safe? Even so, he knew better than anyone that I could hold my ground. He was stupid and reckless... I could have helped. But he didn't care.

"You're here to save your man? Well come on, little girl!" Marcel shouted, right before he darted forwards with a loud growl. He was going to tear her apart.

But Katy was strong enough. She rose her hand less than inch, and he dropped to his knees again as he howled in pain.

"Die, you son of a bitch!" Katy shouted, the hatred dripping from her voice.

I couldn't stop this. Not when Klaus was going to do it already.

And, the very second that the thought came to my mind, he was in the streets. Not a moment later, he cracked Katy's neck, and her limp body hit the ground.

The vampires began to slowly get up on their own, the pain now gone, while Thierry crawled to Katy. He hugged her body close to him as he whispered her name over and over, rocking and seeming almost in denial of what had happened. I was almost in denial too.

As I saw Marcel nod to a smiling Klaus, I knew that he had gained Marcel's trust.

Marcel's reign would soon come to an end.

I had tried to convince Marcel not to punish Thierry, but it didn't work. Not even in the slightest.

I could tell that Diego was conflicted. He trusted Marcel, and knew that his decisions were best, but Thierry was his best friend.

I went back to the Abbattoir later that night, and saw Diego going up the stairs. I followed him as soon as I saw the nearly empty liquor bottle in his hand.

"Diego," I called out as I reached the top of the stairs. He froze in his tracks, then turned back to look at me. "Are you okay?"

He stayed quiet for a moment, then sighed as he placed the bottle on the railing. "I haven't been okay in a long time, Rose. Not since those damn Mikaelsons came to town."

I gritted my teeth a little, then walked towards him and glanved down at the bottle. "Drinking your problems away won't help make them disappear, Diego."

He narrowed his eyes at me, then grabbed the bottle.

"Fine, drink. Keep drinking the whole night. If you refuse to face your problems, then I don't care what you do," I growled out, turning around and heading back to the stairs.

I stopped when I felt his hand wrap around my wrist, spinning around to face him. The look on his face was definitely one that I had seen before.

A moment later, he went forwards, and my back was soon against the wall.

He didn't move, he just stared into my eyes. It was as if he couldn't make up his mind about something. Then, he glanced down at my lips, and I knew what he was conflicted about.

I wanted him, in a much stronger way than I did before.

But I couldn't.

So when his lips were pressed against mine, I basked in the pleasure of it for a mere few moments before I placed my hands on his chest and pushed him back gently. My eyes met his, and I saw the pain in them.

"Goodbye, Diego," I whispered, then turned and sped to the exit of the abattoir, ignoring him as he called my name.

I walked through the streets for hours. I couldn't help but be stunned when I thought of the night's events.

Thierry was locked up. Katy was gone. Marcel trusted Klaus. And I had let go of my feelings for Diego... At least, I think that I did. We hadn't come any closer to finding Elijah. And, I had decided that if Klaus and Rebekah weren't going to trust me with their plan, I wasn't going to follow them along like a lost puppy. My only two goals were to find Elijah, and to keep Hayley and her child safe. That was it. I would protect and defend the innocent. Not follow liars that thought I wasn't trustworthy.

"Rose!" I heard him shout, but I kept walking. "Rose!" He repeated, and I heard him coming closer. He suddenly appeared in front of me, and I rammed right into his chest.

I growled in frustration, then, with one swift movement, I punched Klaus right across the face. He groaned a little when his head snapped to the side, rubbing at his jaw. "Alrgiht, I deserved that."

"Yeah. Yeah, you did," I growled, then shoved past him. But of course, the stubborn little jackass just had to follow right behind me. "Leave me alone before I tear out your liver, Klaus."

He sighed. "Oh, how I missed your violent tendencies."

I stopped, spinning around to face me as he almost rammed right into me too. "One, you've mentioned that. Two, you really didn't seem to think you needed them tonight, seeing how you didn't trust me with your plan!"

"Come now, love. You know that's not true," he said, and I rolled my eyes before turning and continuing to walk. "I needed for you to seem surprised!"

"Oh believe me, I was!" I shouted. "And in case you can't tell, I'm also VERY pissed off. So I suggest you leave me alone before I choose a slightly more vital organ to rip out."

"I highly doubt that I would still be living after you rip out my liver, but alright then."

"Well, would you still be living after I tear out your intestines?"

"Likely not."

"Then either one works," I growled. "Now, you have two choices here. You can either stop following me and let me walk around alone, or I can tear out something very important. Hell, I might just go for something closer to the groin," I hissed.

I sighed in relief when I heard him speed away.

Thank god. No more begging Hybrid.