33: That Awkward Moment

I woke up as I heard birds chittering from outside. I rolled around to see Kyle still sleeping, and I was filled with joy with the fact that we had cuddled and slept together. It was rare that I woke up before Kyle, so I took the time to study his sleeping face. With his eyes closed and face relaxed, he looked much more innocent and vulnerable than usual. His lashes were long and cast shadows onto his cheeks, and I brought my face up to his without thinking. I stroked my hands along his cheek, where a slight stubble was forming, which was several shades darker than his fair hair.

His eyelids fluttered open, but he didn't look alarmed. 

"Hi." I said, suddenly shy that I had been caught gawking at him.

"Hi." He replied, and probably in his sleepy-affectionate haze, he leaned in a planted a soft kiss on my lips. I'm usually someone who doesn't like any kind of touching in the morning before I brush my teeth and wash my face, but the kiss was so innocent and light that it made my stomach flutter and me sigh in content.

Kyle started getting out of the bed, and I started to groan. 

"No, don't leave yet." 

Kyle raised his brows at me.

"Let's cuddle for longer." I must have been in a quite affectionate mood as well, because I never spoke like that. Or maybe it was the knowledge that he loved me that made me so much more honest with him. 

"Baby, we have to go to school." I almost melted when he called me baby . The way those words sounded from his lips....it was heavenly.

"We don't need to go to school. I just got in an accident."

"Then we still need to work then." 

I groaned, pulling the comforters closer to me and rolling to the side.

"Fine then, we'll cuddle for 5 more minutes." He said, and I grinned in victory. Kyle knelt next to me as if he was going to lie down, but then suddenly scooped me into his arms and pulled me out of bed. I let out a squeal of surprise and wrapped my arms tightly around his neck.

"You sneaky liar! Put me down!"

Kyle let out a throaty laugh and put me down on the sink. 

"Brush your teeth." He commanded, and I pouted.

"You're so bossy." I complained, but picked up my toothbrush anyway. My toothbrush and most of my toiletries were in Kyle's apartment. I was rarely  in my own room, only when I had to change or take a shower.

Kyle watched me starting to brush my teeth, and nodded in satisfaction. "Good girl." He said, and patted my head as if I were a dog. I stuck my toothpaste-covered tongue at him, and he crinkled up his nose. 

"You're gross." He said, and went to hunt for clothes. He came back with new pants on and he was shrugging on a new shirt. I watched his bare belly get covered, and he looked back at me. 

"What are you looking at, perv?" I could tell he was stifling a laugh. 

"Not like you wouldn't stare if I was shirtless." I said back.

"Trust me, I would be gaping." 

I flushed scarlet. I wasn't expecting that response. "Oh."

"Yeah. Oh." He said with a gleam in his eye, and he leaned over to kiss me, his hands resting on the sink on either side of my legs. I wrapped my arms around his neck to pull him closer, and suddenly Kyle's hands wrapped around my legs and pulled me up. I instinctively brought my legs around him and hugged him close, as if I was a koala perched on a tree. He put me down on the kitchen table, and I smiled as he prepared breakfast.