Whatever happens...

So she new what to do. She new just a tad about the face, she new they needed to douse bug milk on the face. And, yes, she new the spell was 'maloso vobiscum et cum spiritum'. Of course she told them that much. However, Simon wondered how much else she knew. From the bomb's 'essence'. From the alleyway. From under the table. From the library. From the book.

Simon led the way uptown and the girls were chatting behind him. Simon was worrying he might get a bit lost, honestly. He knew his way around this place because of buses and cars, mostly. Not from walking.

He also considered the fact that he could turn into the Ice King at random times, even without putting on the crown. And, that scared the living hell out of him. The girls started playing games together after getting adjusted, keeping Simon sidetracked. He was watching that girl. He just couldn't help but keep every fiber of his being away from trusting her. Well, at least it was like that at first. He, after a week, came to realize she may have literally been sweet as gum. And, coincidentally, she was.

They finally decided on the name Bonnibel Bubblegum.

***

One month after meeting BB

For the past month, Simon figured they would be moving forward. They might as well be moving backwards with this progress. The girls did their best to play hide and seek, tickle-wars, and some totally random play pretend. They tried to get Simon to play along, which he eventually did. It took him longer to get adjusted considering his trust issues, however. He tried desperately to move forward, but lagged behind because of the 'little ones'. He had issues with the crown too, sadly enough. He became the Ice King almost everyday, with or without placing the crown on his head. There was once when he stayed as the King of Ice for three whole days...

Marceline was torn up inside each time, but there wasn't much to do.

Simon now, after a month, saw where they were and realized something. Maybe he was too far gone, and yet they were so far away from that other library...

His beard and nose was not of human length. He could barely hold on to his personality by this point.

"Marceline..."

He interrupted the girly giggles. "Hm?"

"Actually, I should have addressed the both of you ladies."

They noticed his serious tone.

"Something wrong, Simon?" Bonnie asked.

"I... I think something is very wrong, girls."

They looked to him in question.

"We should have been there over a week ago...what are we doing?"

"Oh Simon, we're just enjoying this place before we have to get me home!" She was still so positive.

"Marcy...I'm not sure if I'll be able to..."

Marcy walked closer to him.

"You both haven't asked what I was going to do after all is over..."

"Yeah Si...what will you do..."

"You won't like it, but I have no choice. Bonnie, you need a plan for this too. Maybe you should go stay with her if you can... But I can't. I mean, I just can't control what this crown has done to me...I'm going to let it take over me in this low, dark place..."

"Simon...why would you let it take over..." Simon could once again hear heartbreak in her voice.

"Because I'm too far gone..." He took the crown off his belt loop and looked at his reflection. He then knew for a fact he was right.

It was too late.

"I'll spend only a few more days with you guys but I can't ..."

"Why, Simon..."

"Because, Marceline, I don't want to hurt you."

"You still are..." She sniffled and started to tear up.

"I say we've got three days left. Then it should all be over."

Bonnie payed close attention.

And so, for the next three days Marcy faked the brightest smiles. They talked mostly about memories. They talked about Doctor P and Hambo and even the zombie dog. They especially laughed at speaking of the day they met Bonnie, and how funny it seemed now.

***

Three days later

He was going to do it. He was going to walk down the road to sadness. He would walk in the opposite direction of the library to keep them especially safe and, in a way, guide them.

"So...this is it..."

"I'm sorry. Marceline, remember everything I taught you, and promise me you'll go home as soon as you can."

"Promise."

Simon kissed her on the forehead with cold lips. "I love you, Marceline Abadeer. Be good to Bonnie, now."

"I will."

He then went to Bonnie. "Please, take care of Marcy for me. I'm counting on you."

"As you command, Simon."

"Now, group hug..."

They embraced each others' arms. They hugged a longer hug than normal and slowly let go. Marcy ran and hugged his legs, crying.

"You said we would be fine, r-remember ?"

"I didn't say that."

She then remembered. 'You'll be fine, Marce. I promise."

Her eyes widened with that realization. "N-No! Simon please, you can't ! "

Her tears were unbearable for him.

"P-Please I can't live without you!"

He pulled away from her without looking back. She ran to him, but Bonnie pulled her back.

"W-What are you-?"

"He's gone, Mar-Mar. No use trying. "

She then stopped, and watched Simon walk into the distance.

Once he was out of their hearing range, Simon started singing to himself something he wrote in his notebook.

"I can feel myself slipping away.

I can't remember what it made me say...

I didn't mean to make you frown.

But I swear,

It wasn't me.

It was the crown.

This magic keeps me alive,

But it's making me crazy.

And I need to save you.

But who's going to save me?

Please forgive me for

Whatever I do ,

When I don't remember you...

La dum...

Daaaa daaa...

La dum...

Daaaah daaah..."