Preface: Stench of Betrayal

I shouldn't have snuck out for a midnight run but It had been only a month after my first shifting and my wolfs hunger for freedom seemed hard to sate. My father had reassured me that it was natural for all of us to go through that stage but that it was particularly hard for those with Alpha blood because our instincts and urges were much more potent. My wolf and I had spent the last hour hunting down a rabbit. It was the first time I had actually caught my prey so I was quite pleased with myself as I made my way back to the house with my kill dangling from my mouth. I couldn't wait to show my father what I had done, though I am certain he will be upset with me for sneaking out.

A strange unsettling feeling began to creep over me the closer I got to home. My senses were screaming at me that there was danger but I as I kept my eyes scanning through the trees I could not detect anything. I slowed my speed and lowered my belly toward the ground trying to put most of my weight on my toes to keep from making to much noise or being seen. The scent of blood was carried on the evening breeze at first I assumed it was from my kill but the scent only became stronger the less distance there was between me and the house. My ears pulled back flat against my head and my tail tucked itself up under between my legs. Something was wrong, very wrong.   

I dropped my kill and took off like a bullet towards my home, fear lighting a fire beneath my feet. The moment my feet touched front porch I shifted back into my human form faster than I thought was possible. The door was wide open and the smell of blood was so strong that I felt like I was going to be sick. I covered my mouth with the back of my hand as my legs carrying me forward into the stillness of the house. My emotions began to swell as I noted the destruction before me, there had clearly been some kind of struggle. I could see splashes of blood on the walls and small puddles on the hardwood floor. My legs trembled as I moved deeper into darkness following the path of destruction. 

 My wolf was whimpering and whining inside of me trying to comfort me but also stressed over my rising anxiety and desperation. My vision was becoming blurry as water began to fill my eyes. I blinked rapidly trying to will the urge to cry away. My body froze when came to the living room. Standing over the body of my mother was the large frame of a man, his eyes glowing bright red. A sob tore from my throat and my knees gave out from under me as I stared in disbelief at the sight. My wolf let out a low howl of distress before she seemed to start snarling in my head. My attention quickly snapped to the red eyed man who had yet to move. He stood like a statue his gaze fixated on me. 

My wolf rushed toward the surface as her desire for blood swelled. She wanted to tear this man apart, make sure he paid for what he had done. I let myself be pulled to the back of my mind as she took control. My bones snapped and cracked, silver fur quickly covering what used to be exposed skin. I pawed at the ground and lowered my head as my lips peeled back revealing my razor sharp teeth. The red-eyed enemy threw a sinister smile in my direction, "Oh what do we have here? A female Alpha? This will be fun..." A vicious snarl ripped from my chest as I charged forward readying to launch myself for his throat.  

My legs were strong and sturdy, they provided me with a powerful spring as I pushed up off the ground. The man moved swiftly and smacked me down out of the air with hand like I was no more than a fly. I hit the ground with a loud crack before I could shake off the attack he had his hand gripping my throat. His finger were clawed and pierced through the tough flesh. I let out a pained growl as I thrashed underneath him trying to free myself. I had never met anything like this before he hadn't even shifted and he was stronger than me. 

"You'll have to get stronger than that to beat me little alpha." He chirped at me in amusement at my attempts to get him to release me. 

"Stop playing with the pup Kade." A deep voice snapped in annoyance causing the man above me to lose his amusement. I still at the sound of the approaching footsteps. The aura coming of the new stranger was strong and caused my wolf to whimper in fear. I peered out of the corner of my eye to see another red eyed man but he held the power of an alpha. He stared down at me with a look that was unreadable, "Shift!" he commanded. My body began to realign and return itself to its human shaped against my will.