Part 3

~¤~¤~¤~¤~

Josh's P.O.V

When she walks into English her eyes meet mine only to snap away. I let my gaze stay on her for a few more seconds. Her eyes and cheeks are slightly red and puffy from crying. Before class starts I stand up and get my stuff. I go over to Jayna's desk and sit in the desk behind hers. Mrs. Smith starts to talk about an up coming project and I just stare at the back of Jayna's head. Trying to think up something to say to her.

Then Mrs. Smith starts naming people off in pairs. "Now students, for this project you must work with your assigned partner. Or else I won't give you full credit." She pauses and grabs the list she made. "Partners are Cara and Debbie. Sam and Drake. Mark and Ryan. Josh and Jayna."

After that I zone out.

Did she just say what I think she said? Jayna and I are going to be... partners?

Jayna seems to have froze. Like I said, she usually works by herself. But with Mrs. Smith forcing us. She has to work with me. This is my chance.

"So go ahead and start your projects today. I would start with reading the book since that's the most important part." She points at a kid in the front. "Jason, will you please start passing out the books."

I turn my focus back to Jayna. I don't know what to say or do. So I just tap her lightly on the shoulder.

She turns around slowly. Her head is down, and she's staring at the ground.

"Hey, I'm Josh." I say to her and smile.

She looks up at me and says a surprising, "I know."

She can talk! Wait, she knows who I am?

"Well, looks like we'll be partners for this semester project." I try to make it sound normal, but it comes out sounding like a excited little kid.

"Yeah." She mumurs.

"Have you ever read Romeo and Juliet?" I ask, trying to make conversation.

She looks away again and my heart drops. "Yeah, in eighth grade before I moved here."

"Well that's a bummer that you have to read it again."

"No," she mumbles. "I like Romeo and Juliet."

Jason hands us our books, and moves along.

I flip through the pages. I can't understand anything in this book.

"Well, should we read this together or on our own?"

"I don't mind. Either way." She whispers.

"Well, how about you come over to my house. Say, tonight at five?"

She looks at me again. "I can't, I'm sorry." Her eyes turn panicked.

"Hey, I'm sorry. Listen we could meet at the park?"

She looks down at the desk. "Okay."

I smile, "great, same time."

~¤~¤~¤~¤~

Jayna's P.O.V

Fudge, I mean really? This morning with Josh, and now we have to be semester partners... to read Romeo and Juliet and do a report on it?!

Uh, today couldn't get any worse. Besides the fact Josh is acting like he has interest in me. Such a faker, nobody could even have an ounce of interest for me. It's definitely pity interest.

Now we're meeting at the park in town. Even though it's thirty degrees outside. When October hits Colorado it starts to get cold. We're lucky if we don't get any snow in October.

I throw on a blue sweater, and black skinny jeans. A beanie to keep my ears sorta warm. I go to the kitchen and write a note for my mom.

She works two jobs in order to pay for our needs.

Mom,

I'm going to the park to work on a project with my partner. Be back soon.

Love you, Jay xoxo

I go to the door and slip on my converse, grab my bag and start walking towards the park.

Once I see Josh I stop. He's sitting at one of the picnic tables with the book in his hands.

What am I doing? I told myself I wouldn't do this. But if I want full credit to get into a great college, I NEED to do this.

Josh looks up and his eyes meet mine. He smiles, making his green eyes light up.

I look away, and continue walking towards him. I put my book bag on the table and sit across from him.

"I'm glad you made it." He says.

Right, I bet you wished I'd fall off a cliff.

"Um." Is all I say back, nervousness gets the best of me.

"So should we get to reading?" He asks.

I nod slowly.

"Do you want me to read first?"

I don't answer.

"I take that as a yes." He starts to read, I open my book, but I zone out.

The October leaves are turning. Bright green leaves turn to warm colors. Orange, red, yellow, brown. Then once they're ready, they float down from their safe homes to the ground.

"Hey," Josh's voice snaps me back to reality. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I mumur.

"Good," he smiles. Then goes back to reading. This time I look at him. I watch the words come out of his mouth. He is cute, his dark hair that came down in waves matched his dark complexion, and his deep green eyes.

Stop! Jayna, you can't do this.
I slam my book closed.

Josh stops reading. "Hey," he says and lifts his hand. I freeze, what is he doing?"

"W-what are y-you doing?" I stuttered.

His hand touches my cheek, then he pulls away with a leaf in his hand.

He smiles, "it was in your hair." He chuckles. I feel butterflies swarm in my stomach.

Yep, I can't do this.

"I-I can't do this." I stand up and stuff all my things into my bag.

Josh stands up too. "What do you mean? This is for a grade."

"I know that, I just can't do this now." I turn away and start walking. But then I turn back around. "I'm sorry." Then I walk on home.

I reach up and touch my cheek where Josh left tingles. I push the thought away, quickly.