Chapter 4: The Shift

Seven years later

Claire's POV

John is way too protective of me, if he had a choice I think he would lock me in a tower forever, just to keep me safe. I have no idea why he is like this, why can't and he do this to some other girl, why me? He purposely ruins all my fun, I only have two friends because of him, two true friends that I play and laugh with, and he is one of them, him and Noah. I tried to talk to my mother about his protectiveness, but she just said "boys will be boys", what does that even mean? Anyhow, I'm 12 years old today, and I've grown up a lot. This morning my mom and dad told me that starting tonight I get to ditch my old bedtime for a new one. Now I get a whole extra hour of freedom before I'm forced to succumb to the pull of sleep at 10 o'clock. I'm thinking that if I can handle a later bedtime, then I can handle anything.

You see, ever since last year there have been these girls who have been very evil to me, tripping me when I walk, pushing me and claiming that it was an "accident", and the best one, telling the other kids at our school that I was weird and should be committed to an asylum. I have no idea why they do this to me, but I promised myself that I would do something about it, without John ever having to know, and today is that day, I can feel it.

I find them at the park, swinging on the swings, acting like they're so cool. The oldest notices me approaching them first, her name's Emily, she's the leader, she is the one I have to talk to. The other two are Vanessa, and Sam; Emily's minions. When I am about five steps away from them, Emily gets up and spits out

"What are you doing here, Claire?"

"I've just come to see you," I say in a calm voice.

"Well, weirdo you've seen me, so leave!" She sneers looking directly in my eyes. I use this opportunity to my advantage and I take a deep breath and find peace within myself, and immediately connect my eyes with Emily's, forging a type of inner connection with her.

I looked into her soul and started to sift through the feelings she holds within her, looking for the ones at the core of her, her strongest feelings. When I get to the core of her soul, I find so much jealousy and anger towards me, that it takes all of my will power to not run as fast I can in the opposite direction. I just have to do this quickly.

You see, I'm not really supposed to do this in public, John's dad told me that it wouldn't be safe because I am so vulnerable when I connect this deeply with someone's soul, but I can't live in fear because of her anymore, I hate it and it makes me feel weak.

Anyhow, once I found what I was looking for, I started to repeat a phrase over, and over again in my head, sorta like I was hypnotizing her, but really I'm actually convincing her to have "No more anger, and no more jealousy", slowly I take these poisonous feelings from her and give them to myself till they are completely gone from her, and I quickly released them into the world. Just as I was finding my way back into my body, I heard a faint voice saying "she's killing her!", and then there was a sharp pain in my head, and I was out.

John's POV

I was heading up the stairs, going to my room to get the gift I got for Claire when all of a sudden there was a sharp pain where my heart is, and I instantly knew that something was wrong with her.
I jumped down the stairs and ran towards the door. As I follow her scent through our territory, it leads me in the direction of the park. As I get within seeing distance, I see a bunch of little kids crowded around the park area. As I get closer, I see what all the commotion is about. Laying on the floor in her own blood, by the sandpit, with her face facing upward and her eyes closed, is my Claire.

I rush up to her, growling for people to get out of my way. As I kneel beside her, checking to see how hurt she is while doing that frantically, I link with Noah and tell him to get my father and the pack doctor quickly. Looking down at her I realized that someone had done this to her, and I'm immediately filled with so much anger I see red.

At the corner of my eye I see someone approaching us, and that anger I am trying to control starts clawing its way out of my chest, demanding to be released. I turn to growl at the intruder, thinking in my head that I must protect her, I have to protect her. I start to feel my bones start to crack and my body takes a different shape, I let out a loud growl of pain and all at once my clothes are torn, and I no longer feel like a human. I look down at myself and realize that I have paws, where my hands should be, and I'm way closer to the ground than I was a second ago. Have I just gone through my first change? I move my tongue around my mouth, I feel how sharp my teeth are, and how long my tongue is, and I know without a shadow of a doubt that I've changed into a wolf.

I let out a fierce growl, and pounce at the people who are too close, warning them to stay away and making sure that my mate is safe.

Woah, wait,Claire's my mate?

A/N

Vote and Comment