Chapter 22.

I laughed nervously.

That was the pathetic fateful reaction I had succumbed to.

Zach drew back, a frown on his face as he inspected me for a moment. I looked at him sheepishly. Rolling his beautiful black pupils, he fixed them on mine briefly before sighing with impatience.

"Just tell me later." he rumbled deeply.

It was all the persuasion I needed.

Hastily capturing my mouth with his own, he pushed his moist lips against mine greedily as he moved closer. My spluttering laughter was muted. I brought my arms about his neck, smoothing my hands desperately along his muscled shoulders until I tangled my fingers amongst his thick, black silk hair and pulled a little. He groaned quietly, panting as he came up for air with dark eyes full of longing.

He started to lean down again when I suddenly heard footsteps from the hallway.

I panicked and pushed on his chest.

Backing off, Zach promptly sat down on the stool and cleared his throat as he straightened his suit. My blood thumped loudly in my ears as I attempted to look natural. As if on cue, my mother shortly appeared in the doorway. She was holding a magazine and a box of chocolates in her hands as she entered the room. Her eyes filled up instantaneously.

"Oh, Lou." she whimpered.

"Why did you keep it from me?"

Her question was aimed at the situation caused by Josh but my heart tightened with guilt as I glanced at my secret lover sat only a few feet away. She was oblivious to the thick tension caused by our frantic pulses racing from almost being caught red handed - again. My conscience was screaming at me to just blurt it out. I could barely take it. I hated lying to her.

"It's hard to explain." I told her quietly.

If only she knew.

"I was going to stay at home the whole night since Mr Caldwell offered to stay but I couldn't get to sleep. When I rang the nurse told me you were awake so I came through." she informed me gently. "How are you feeling?"

"Not too good." I mumbled. My mum gave me a comforting smile.

"I got you these and a magazine in case you got bored." she explained as she set the chocolates on the side. "Mr Caldwell, I didn't know what you wanted but I thought you might like a coffee."

His umber eyes stared at me purposefully for a second before he switched his gaze to my awaiting mother who had held her hand out for him to take the cup. Receiving it gently, he looked at her gratefully.

"I would have been fine since I work late a lot of the time, but thank you for the gesture. I appreciate the thought." he smiled.

"You're very welcome." she beamed. "That reminds me, Louise is going to be discharged tomorrow. Dr Baines said she is able to leave the hospital early, she just has to make sure to rest, especially with her fractured ribs. Actually, I was thinking of having a welcome home dinner. It would be lovely for you to come."

"Fractured ribs?" I repeated in horror.

My mother turned, her eyes welling. "The doctor said you were lucky to have such little damage from so many blows to the same area. You only have minor fractures and bruises. They said that...it was the traumatic state you were in that was worse. Your blood pressure was so high and-" she croaked as she began to sob.

"I'm so sorry." I mumbled pitifully.

She suddenly looked like she had took a slap to her face.

"You have nothing to be sorry for! I'm just a blubbering mess. I'll be fine in a minute." she sniffled, wiping her teary eyes to calm herself down. "I just wish I had known."

Zach suddenly rose from his seat and walked to her side, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. His expression was pained and mirrored my own.

"You can't blame yourself. I should have gotten there sooner." he consoled her softly.

She looked up, her cheeks streaked with tears. "If it wasn't for you she might not have survived the attack from that monster. I am eternally grateful, honestly. You will come to the welcome home dinner won't you?" she finished, gazing up at him expectantly.

He swallowed, his golden brown eyes finding mine.

"I don't think it is appropriate." he responded curtly.

Why did I get the feeling that was not aimed at my mother?

With his answer given, my mother was instantly disappointed. I looked to him firmly, widening my eyes purposefully to get him to agree. If him attending this 'welcome home' dinner was going to make her happy then so be it. After a minute of staring him down, he finally swallowed the imaginative lump in his throat and raised an eyebrow before the ghost of a smile tugged at his red lips.

"However, I could make an exception."

My mother's features brightened and she swung her arms around him. Zach stiffened from her open affection but managed to bring an uncomfortable arm around her.

"Thank you! That's wonderful news! I know everyone would love to meet you. Bring that lovely friend of yours Noah too if you like. I'll let you know the arrangements when Louise is fully recovered." she babbled excitedly.

"Sounds delightful." he grinned, shooting me a provocative wink.

At that moment my vision darkened and my eyelids drooped to a close before I fell asleep with one last lingering thought.

Zach Caldwell just winked at me.

___________________________________

Hello!

I'm really sorry it took me so long to update!

Hope you liked it!

I'm going to try to update another chapter soon.

Votes & comments will be much appreciated. (:

Thanks for reading.

Sweets xoxo