Chapter Thirty-Six: We Win

Picture is Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Pietro Maximoff aka Quicksilver in Avengers: Age of Ultron by Marvel Studios.

Music is "Fire and Honor" by Audiomachine.

All rights go to their rightful owners.

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"This is war now. And what do the Avengers do in war? What do we do?"
"We... We win."
~Carol Danvers

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Besides Tony, Sam, Rhodey, Katie, Cole, Morganna, and Roran - who went back to help Wanda, Vision, and Stephen - the rest of the Avengers march towards the Stark robotics building. Since we'd last been there, Vision and I, Black Death has gotten the place in much better shape than what it was.

Which makes it worse for us. Thor continues to block the lightning, but I don't know how long he'll be able to keep that up. With shadow creatures still all over New York City, Black Death needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.

I walk behind Steve and Carol, beside Pietro and Aspen, as we approach the door. It's sealed off, clearly impenetrable. Steve waves Nat over. "Natasha, super spy this thing."

Nat smirks at the choice of words and cracks her knuckles. "Aye aye, Captain." She scurries to the control pad and starts tapping the screen.

The screen goes black as she works, and an unusual voice comes from it. "No need to break in, Avengers." The door opens without Natasha finishing her work. "Turn right, left, right."

I look at Pietro, who shares the same funny confused look that I have. "What should we do?" I ask.

"Enter with caution," Steve says. "Clint, Carol, cover me as I go first."

We obey our Captain's orders and enter, armed and ready for anything. Why would he just let us in? He must know something we don't. So much for having the upper hand.

We tip toe into the hallway, seeing many corridors to walk through. We follow the instructions that Black Death gave us, careful not to set off any traps or alarms along the way.

Pietro reaches down to squeeze my hand lightly as we near the end of the final hallway. I squeeze back, wanting nothing more but to rewind to the time where my ex wasn't a concern. Where if I was pregnant, I would simply jump into his arms and tell him.

The moment this situation is dealt with, I'm telling him, no matter what happens.

The Avengers turn the last corner and see a darkened room at the end of the small walkway. Next to no lights are on inside, though one person can be seen inside.

Clothed in the same 19th century attire, Gregory Killbane leans over his machine, the one be thinks will bring him to the next world. His pocket watch is in his hands, the time slipping away from him. He looks much older than I recall. From what I can see in the dim light, his eyes are foggy, his skin is paler, and he walks with an aged trot.

Steve nods to the machine as Black Death stares down towards the clock. Even though the entire room is dark, one item of interest stands out: the Infinity Stone, the Soul Gem. One of the mightiest objects of the Marvel universe, sister to the five other Infinity Stones, and controller of the heart and soul. It rests on a small pedestal in the center of the machine, guarded my lazers and glass. Black Death has come prepared.

He looks up at us, almost groaning. "Why couldn't you just leave an old man be?"

"Because you're hurting millions," Steve says, stepping into the room.