Chapter 10

As promised, a little over an hour later, Kelley and Becky were backing out of the driveway. In the backseat were Dorian and Crispin, always on the ready for a road trip destined for Toronto.

Although the guys were aware of Becky's not so pleasant reason for going, Crispin and Dorian couldn't help but be excited. Toronto was a great city with endless possibilities. Having originated from there, they couldn't wait to visit their old haunts.

On their way, Becky discovered a lot about her housemates. Sadly, not all of it was very pleasant to hear. While Dorian hadn't had much of a childhood, having grown up in low-income housing with his alcoholic mother, at least, he had a sister who lived nearby in Napanee with her husband, and two kids, who he was quite close with. Apparently, that's where he'd spent Thanksgiving.

Crispin, on the other hand, had no one. He'd grown up in foster care his whole life. When Becky asked if there was anyone he'd like to visit while in Toronto, the surly Goth merely snickered and refused to answer her question.

Kelley stayed quiet and pensive for most of the drive. Now and then, noting Becky's building agitation, he would reassuringly pat her on the knee.

At one point during their journey, they hit some heavier traffic. For at least half an hour, they were stopped dead. The groans of frustration were growing considerably. Even with the stereo cranked, the whining from the backseat could be heard. Looking sideways at Kelley, she could tell he was trying very hard to contain his own frustration. Turning her attention elsewhere, she glanced out her window at the minivan beside them. Two kids, a boy and a girl aged between eight and ten were staring back at her. Well, not so much at her but at the guys in the backseat.

Wondering what had their attention, she glanced behind her and saw that both Dorian and Crispin were making horrible faces at the awestruck children.

"What are you two doing?" she admonished. Weren't they scary looking enough in their Goth-inspired darkness without adding to it?

"Giving them what they want," Crispin snickered, glaring at her.

"They think we're freaks as it is," Dorian shrugged indifferently. "Why not play along?"

"Because it's childish," she said with a disapproving frown.

Moments later, another car drifted alongside theirs. This time it was a carload of college aged girls, probably on their way to Toronto as well.

Glancing at their expressions of disgust in the direction of the backseat of Kelley's car, Becky didn't dare look at what the guys were doing now.

Instead, Becky focused her eyes straight ahead at the bumper of the car in front of her. To her horror, she saw two teenaged girls, no older than fifteen, making eyes at Kelley. Obviously, these girls found nothing wrong with his overall appearance.

"Does this happen often?" she asked, wondering how they handled the attention, both bad and good.

"You get used to it," Kelley said as he playfully waved at the young girls in the car ahead. She could swear, she could hear the giddy squeal the girls let out.

"Do you really?" she said, suddenly feeling the urge to stick her tongue at the precocious young flirts.

At her question, Kell simply smiled and turned up the music. Thankfully, the road opened up and they were on their way once again.

Hours later, tired and road weary, they finally spotted the impressive city skyline of Toronto. The sight never ceased to impress Becky, yet on this day, apprehension overshadowed the beauty of it.

"Right then, what's the plan, Becky?" Kelley asked, realizing that in their haste, they hadn't discussed where they were staying for the night.

"Plan?" she asked, coming out of her unpleasant musings. All she could think about was getting to Granny's side before it was too late.