15- What happened?

The shocked silence faded and disappeared completely.  All Cassy heard was the loud thumping of her frantic heart.  Everything faded away; all that she was aware of was her own body and Alex, wrapping her in his arms.  She did not notice an embarrassed looking Brian skunking in and herding the rest of his brothers out of the kitchen.

Alex had never imagined that it was possible to experience any kind of emotion on this level.  It felt as if his mind had suddenly exploded and was expanding at light speed.  Because there was no way on earth that he would have been able to wrap his mind around everything he was experiencing right now with his mind in its old state.  He had to change if he had any hope of coping with the flood of feelings washing over him like a tsunami; satisfaction, desperation, tenderness, need and hunger.  Amongst all the others, the most surprising emotion of all was contentment.  He had not expected to be feeling content right now, but as he was alternatively kissing her neck tenderly and cleaning the puncture marks his teeth had cut into her soft skin with his tongue, he shared the contentment and peace that his wolf was feeling, as well as the growing need to complete the mating in full.

Cassy’s brain took its sweet time to surface.  The pain of the bite was set of against a deep satisfaction that at last her mate had staked his claim on her; as she now belonged to him, he also belonged to her and the thought of this man being hers; hers only, pleased her to no end.  As she slowly became aware of her surroundings, she noticed the empty kitchen and the earlier events came rushing back.

She shoved him away with as much force as her shaky arms were capable of.  “What on earth do you think you are doing?!”

A loud growl filled the air and Alex reached out with both hands and drew her to him, fitting her snugly against his hard body.  He just held her tightly while his hand rubbed small circles on her back.  If Cassy was not feeling so furious, she would have enjoyed the sensation.  As it was, being this close to him and feeling his hands on her was making her quite weak in the knees.  The longer she allowed herself to stand here like this, the quicker she was going to forget what she was mad about.

Again she tried to push him away from her, but he held her tightly and whispered into her hair, sending shivers down her spine.

“Don’t Cassy.  Please don’t push me away right now.  I only want to hold you.  Please?”

Cassy did not know why, but his words touched a part of her she did not know existed; and no matter how hard she tried, she could not ignore his plea; even the thought of pushing him away, made her heart feel like breaking.  Without permission her arms lifted to hold him even closer to her, and as her arms closed around him, he sighed, letting his head rest on top of hers.

The longer he stood like this with her in his arms, the stronger the need became to complete the mating process.  He was dimly aware that he knew it had to do with the way her scent was being altered.  On one level he was relieved and immensely pleased that her scent would not be attracting other male attention anymore, but he realized that this was exactly what he had been trying to avoid – this intensified attraction she now had for him.  Adding to it, she was in heat at the moment and his struggle became that more difficult with every breath he took; but he was as unable to step away as he was able to stop breathing.  His need became a raging fire that was slowly but surely consuming him and he had to fight not to sweep her up in his arms and carry her up to her bedroom and further stake his claim on her delicious body.

His struggle became clear to Cassy when she felt him shuddering.

“Alex?”  Her warm breath caressed his neck, soft as a feather.

In a flash, he stood across from her on the opposite side of the kitchen shaking.  From his eye color it was obvious that his wolf was fighting for control.