Eleven

Before I knew it, Friday arrived and so did the looming threat of the Halloween party. I stood in front of my mirror, trying to encourage myself to feel better about it, to think about how good I look in this black sweatshirt, about how Phil will be there.

I won't be able to talk to Phil much, though. Chris, which, ever since Cat pointed it out, has become more obvious, gets extremely jealous of me. When Phil and I are talking, Chris always seems to pull Phil away or steal the last word of our conversation. I made a mental note of keeping my conversations with Phil short until I could text or call him later.

We've had several phone calls over the past couple of days. Sometimes, Phil will call me about random things, like to ask why dinosaurs survived a long time with such small arms, and I would call him insisting that I tried to call Cat instead. Each time we end up staying on the line until the phone hung up automatically.

My hair was starting to get wavy again, seeing as it was this morning since I straightened it. I decided to leave it as is, though, because of what Phil said a while ago.

"Your hair curly looks nice."

He was probably just trying to make me feel better, but it still makes my heart flutter.

I fixed my fringe and left my bathroom, taking breaths to prepare myself. "Bye sweetie!" My mom called as I walked past her bedroom. I just told her I was going to Phil's to hang out with him instead of that I was going to a party. I don't think that'd go over well with her.

"Bye," I returned, skipping down the steps and out my front door.

Zoe's house was only a few blocks away, so I decided to walk there. Cat said she was going early to help set up, so I traveled alone. I didn't mind because it gave me more time to mentally prepare myself.

Zoe's house was bright blue with green shutters. For some reason, that seems exactly like the house she would live in.

I knocked on the door, and it opened, revealing a boy who looked to be about thirteen or fourteen.

"The basement," he looked miserable as he spoke and pointed to a door. He must be Zoe's brother.

"Thanks," I mumbled, making my way past him and to the door he pointed at. I opened the door and a wave of sound hit me like a truck. There was laughing and screaming and talking and a little music that could barely be heard.

Zoe stumbled to the foot of the stairs and looked up at me, squinting. "Oh, hey, Dan!" She shouted happily. I smiled and started to walk down the stairs carefully. I saw what looked like a foot right next to Zoe, but the rest of the body was cut off by the wall.

"Hey, sorry I'm a bit late," I apologized, even though it was insincere. I purposefully came late, and I'm going to purposefully leave early.

The owner of the foot came out behind the wall and I saw that it was Phil. He smiled up at me, and my heart clinched at the sight.

"Hey! I was waiting for you!" Phil exclaimed as I reached the foot of the stairs. Zoe pushed a cup into my hand, thankfully without touching me, and leaned in uncomfortably close to me.

"Everyone has to have a drink in their hand at all times. House rules," she whispered seductively. I nodded and took a whiff of the drink. I had to hold back a gag at the strong scent.

"Thanks," I murmured, and she walked off, still watching me.

"She is still very determined to get you in bed," Phil commented.

"You succeeded in doing that, didn't you?" I replied without thinking. Phil snorted and blushed a little. My heart stopped; did I just make an innuendo?