Yeehaw!

CHAPTER EIGHT: LYDIA

They finally stopped in a room full of waterfalls. The floor was one big pit, ringed by a slippery stone walkway. Around them, on all four walls, water tumbled from huge pipes. The water spilled down into the pit, and even when they shined a light, they couldn't see the bottom.

Lydia hated heights—and black holes and...just everything about this weird pit, so she chose to sit as close to the wall as possible. She tried to catch her breath. It felt like they had been running for hours, even though it had probably only been five minutes. They found it safe to stop when they stopped hearing Kampe's pounding against the tunnels of the labyrinth.

Briares slumped against the wall next to her. He scooped up water in a dozen hands and washed his face.

"This pit goes straight to Tartarus," he murmured. "I should jump in and save you trouble."

Lydia's stomach dropped at the realization of what that black hole really was. Knowing her, and her brilliant coordination, she could be making a one-way trip down.

"Don't talk that way," Annabeth told him. "You can come back to camp with us. You can help us prepare. You know more about fighting Titans than anybody."

"I have nothing to offer," Briares said. "I have lost everything."

"What about your brothers?" Tyson asked. "The other two must still stand tall as mountains! We can take you to them."

Briares's expression morphed to something even sadder: his grieving face. "They are no more. They faded."

The waterfalls thundered. Tyson stared into the pit and blinked tears out of his eye.

"What exactly do you mean, they faded?" Percy asked. "I thought monsters were immortal, like the gods."

"Percy," Grover said weakly, "even immortality has limits. Sometimes . . . sometimes monsters get forgotten and they lose their will to stay immortal."

Lydia had never thought about it too much, but now, looking at Briares, she realized how terrible it would be to be so old—thousands and thousands of years old—and totally alone. It made her feel a little sympathy for the gods and their messed-up choices...but only a little.

"I must go," Briares said.

"Kronos's army will invade camp," Tyson said. "We need help."

Briares hung his head. "I cannot, Cyclops."

"You are strong."

"Not anymore." Briares rose.

"Hey." Percy grabbed one of his arms and pulled him aside, where the roar of the water would hide their words.

Lydia was curious to know what Percy would say but she was afraid to move from her spot and end up at the bottom of the pit, so she chose not to get up and never find out what they were saying.

Then Briares turned and trudged off down the corridor until he was lost in the shadows. Lydia tucked her legs closer to her chest, and Tyson sobbed. Whatever Percy had said, must not have been good enough.

"It's okay." Grover hesitantly patted his shoulder, which must've taken all his courage.

Tyson sneezed. "It is not okay, goat boy. He was my hero."

Lydia frowned deeply. She wanted to make him feel better. So she cautiously scooted along the wall and gave him a hug, patting his back as he sniffled all over her shoulder.

"Thank you, pretty girl." Tyson blubbered.

"Um, you're welcome." She said.

Finally, Annabeth stood and shouldered her backpack. "Come on, guys. This pit is making me nervous. Let's find a better place to camp for the night."