Four || A New Apprentice

Anakin's POV

"You can't throw me off the Council, Obi-Wan, I was just given a seat," I argued to Obi-Wan as we walked through the halls of the Republic executive building. I resembled that of a child; tugging on his heels until he accepted whatever I had to say.

"You killed Chancellor Palpatine. You don't even understand these consequences, do you? The Galactic Senate needs to elect a new Supreme Chancellor immediately, and they want to call upon the Jedi Order to surrender you to Republic authorities," urges Obi-Wan. "You made a mistake, Anakin, and I can't get you out of this one."

"You ordered me to spy on him," I shoot back, hence it being the truth after all. "I should have stayed behind, I know, but I had to go. Master Windu was there, just speak to him, Obi-Wan."

Obi-Wan sighs. "I did. He told me just what you're telling me now, Anakin, which seems reasonable."

"Then do something! I can't afford to be kicked off the Council, Obi-Wan, and I certainly can't be surrendered to Republic authorities. He was the Sith Lord, don't you see? He's gone, now, thanks to me, and Master Windu, of course. This is a time of rejoice, of celebration!"

Obi-Wan clearly wasn't listening to me. Or taking in what I needed to say, at least. "Master Windu is the only other man that can clarify anything you have to say against Chancellor Palpatine. That doesn't suite well against the Republic, let alone the Jedi Order."

"Why did you order me to spy on him, then? Did you not sense anything evil about him?"

He sighs once more, and momentarily releases the subject. "We'll discuss this more at the Council meeting tomorrow," he says, "but I do have another proposal for you, if you wish to keep your seat."

"Oh, thank you, Obi-Wan, I'll do anything," I plead, and he stops walking. He pauses for a moment, perhaps searching for words, then looks at me intently, with something on his mind.

"We have found you an apprentice," he mumbles under his breath, "a girl. You are the Master to her, Anakin. We retrieved her from slavery on Tatooine yesterday, before you didn't listen and went to Palpatine's office."

I was speechless. A girl? Why should I have this responsibility? However, I was considered a Jedi Master now... at last. The Jedi Order certainly wouldn't be happy with this, but they had to have discussed it with the Council at least once in the past in order for it to be allowed.

"I have to... train her?" My voice is uneasy, and it might have been more than I thought, as Obi-Wan chuckles.

"Relax. I trained you and look how far you've come! But yes, a girl. She is eighteen years of age, completely uneducated in the ways of the Force... but a slave, like you were at first. Also, Anakin, she is part of your prophecy. You both are referred to as those who bring balance to the Force." Obi-Wan is assuring, but it appears he doesn't know entirely what he is talking about. I knit my eyebrows.

"Is that even possible?" I ask, becoming more uneasy by the second.

"To our surprise, yes," laughs Obi-Wan. "But you have an apprentice now, Anakin, and I believe she is in good hands. To keep your seat on the Council and perhaps be named a Jedi Master, follow through with this task. She is your apprentice."

Apprentice sounded great to me. She is my apprentice now, I am no longer the apprentice. I had to train her and bring her up through the Force like my trainer before me. And I, too, believe my apprentice is in good hands.

"What is her name?" I ask Obi-Wan, hoping he has this information.

"Kyla Valero," he says. "She is still on Tatooine; you must come with us to retrieve her after the Council meeting tomorrow. Is that manageable?"

A smile spreads across my face. "That's - that's great," I say. "Yes, it is manageable. Thank you, Obi-Wan. And please, talk to the Republic and Master Windu about my doings. Master Yoda and the Council has to believe us - based on your knowledge on the Chancellor's identity status. As a witness, I believe Master Windu is a very trustworthy man."

"I think so, too, Anakin," nods Obi-Wan, "Now go home to Padme. I'm sure she's frantic about the election of the new Chancellor... I think it would be wise for you to talk about the matter with her."

I nod. "Of course. I'll see you tomorrow at the Council meeting."

With that, I left him, as he had more serious matters to take care of having to do with the girl.

Secretely, the thought of having a female apprentice frightened me. Not only was it troubling to have an apprentice, but she was a girl - and she was only a few years younger than I was. Surely Padme would think it wasn't a necessity for me to train the girl - whereas I believe along the same lines. It may not be the best for the girl, having me as a Master. After all, I didn't have near as much experience as Obi-Wan, or Master Windu, or even Master Yoda, for that matter.

Would me being her Master truly help her succeed with the ways of the Force?

I arrived to Padme shortly after my departure from the Republic executive building. She was worried, just as I knew she'd be, leaning against the balcony, refusing to look at me when I first entered. "Padme..." I said quietly, my voice reaching her like a cool breath against the back of her neck. She turned around, and to my instantaneous relief, she had not been crying.

"Anakin, how could you do this? Do you know what this means in terms of the Republic? For the Galactic Senate?" She was angered, too. I knew Padme - she was hardly ever angered like this. Whomever informed her of my actions on Palpatine must've been quiet vague. Or bias, bias in terms of the Sith Lord and his first identity.

"Padme, listen to me," I approached her carefully, not wanting to anger her more. I knew she was growing irritable and uncomfortable as time passed, and I could only act more gentle towards her. "I saw who he was. I saw what he was trying to do - Chancellor Palpatine wasn't who you thought he was, Padme. He is a Sith Lord, and he was attempting to use me, for my power..."

Her eyes widened. "But I wouldn't let him," I continued. "Master Windu was on the verge of death, I saw it with my own eyes... so I saved him. I saved Master Windu and I might as well have saved the entire galaxy. I'm more powerful than I ever imagined I'd become, Padme."

She unfolded her arms. "I'm sorry, Ani," she says as I embrace her, letting her head press into my chest. "I should've never doubted you about the Chancellor. I just hope you're aware of what's to come from this. A new election, Yoda will have to reconvene the Council and institute new members to replace those lost..."

I interrupted her at this note. "You heard about that?"

"Obi-Wan told me everything, some time after he got back from Tatooine yesterday and the arrest attempt took place in Palpatine's office."

Obi-Wan. I should've known it was only him who could be so vague to Padme...

I ignored the urging thoughts. "Ah, of course. Did he tell you why he was on Tatooine in the first place? He went with the new Council member, Master Klavis, and Master Windu."

"No, he didn't tell me. Why? Did he not discuss it with you?" She pulls away from her nesting place in my tunic, and holds me by my shoulders gently. "Why was he on Tatooine?"

"I... I don't know," I lie to her, the use of my words having a strange impact to my chest. "But it is odd he'd bring the newest Council member and not me."

"Oh, Ani, don't get jealous," she embraces me again, "You finally earned a seat on the Council. I believe the Senate will do what is right, given some of the Masters' knowledge on Chancellor Palpatine. But Ani, what are we going to do? We need a new Chancellor immediately."

"I wouldn't worry now, my love," I plant a kiss on her forehead, "But I do know you should sleep. Tonight I'm going to try to avoid another dream."

She pulls back and smiles lightly. "Good," she whispers, before leaving me on the balcony to ponder about everything going on.

Suddenly, I was lonely with my thoughts now. My fear, my limited anger, my distrust with the Council. I deserve to be treated better, as I was all powerful now. The Council shouldn't have to test my limits. They know my power. They need to have faith in me, just as I do for myself.

But I could only hope that this girl, my new apprentice, could help me show the Council how powerful I truly am.