Chapter Thirty-Three ۞ Trouble

A week before the official opening day, things were a bit busier than before. Valeriana was starting to feel the urgency in her training and, fact was, she wasn't feeling any progress with herself. On the other hand, the Twelve seemed calm and didn't seem to be in any sort of distress.

Valeriana was dissatisfied, though. She could not help but feel this way. The band practice was coming together smoothly, to her relief. Their teamwork was astounding.

"Valeriana." Seraphina's face was fair and elated as she called out her name.

As she came around for her usual morning practice, the woman seemed to be in a far better mood. Her aura was light and calm.

"I have brought good news."

"What is it?" Valeriana asked, a smile coming to her lips automatically.

"Prince Bertram is in a far better condition now. His hair has faded back into its usual color. Even his eyes!" She exclaimed, her grin widening. "These are outstanding results! If we continue this way, he will eventually revert back to his original state."

"T-that's great news!" She replied, a rush of happiness coursing through her body.

She finally did one thing useful.

However, realization dawned on her.

"He . . . didn't need purifying?" Valeriana asked in wonder. "I was so sure that I had to . . ."

Seraphina wasn't as concerned, oblivious to the rest of the dilemma she was in. Now that she thought about it, the lady knight never said anything about the accursed mark she had under her gloves.

"I am not sure, but this is a very good progress. He asked if he could meet with you."

"When?"

"When you are free. He would like you to check him."

Valeriana started laughing. "I feel like some kind of doctor."

"Isn't that an appropriate term for someone who cures the infection?" Her guardian raised a brow at this, her eyes joking.

The girl went still.

She then remembered Cifaro. If she only knew earlier she could do the purification without unnecessarily sacrificing a piece of her life everytime, she would've been able to help the beast without him having to die.

However, this was when the questions came in.

How could she have taken the parasites out of those beasts when she didn't even have as much information as she had now? Could she have even helped him with the way she was now?

"Valeriana? Are you alright?"

She looked up, shaking herself out of the river of thoughts she had sunk in. "Yeah . . . just thought of something."

"Now, then, shall we proceed with the training?"

"About that, Lady Seraphina." She said. "I figured I've been bothering you a lot when you could've been taking the time off."

"Nonsense. I spend my time as I want to. I do enjoy teaching you." Her kind smile made her seem like a saint in Valeriana's point-of-view. "The rest are spent on nothing but searching for answers. It is tiring." She then sighed. "The king would like to meet you again, by the way. He was curious who had been able to help his son out of his dilemma."

Valeriana's lips twisted into a cheesy smile, her heart jumping with anxiety. "That's really . . ."

"Bertram refuses to tell your name, that stubborn child. He wishes for you to introduce yourself, if you even want to. His mouth has been sewn shut."