Fourth Sighting

Moonlit Meetings:

Chapter 4:

The next day at work was tiring for everyone involved. Ciel hadn't slept at all due to the memory of kissing his rival. Sebastian has also experienced a sleepless night, haunted by being tricked by Black Phantom.

It took Ciel a few hours to notice that Sebastian kept looking over at him and then looking down again when their eyes met. He began to worry that Sebastian had managed to work out that he was Black Phantom after their kiss. The thought caused him to blush unwillingly and he hated himself for that. Sebastian Michaelis was simply good looking and extremely annoying so he shouldn't be blush worthy at all. He found Sebastian looking at him again.

"Do I have something on my face?" he asked.

"No, " Sebastian answered shortly and returned to writing his report.

Ciel was sure that Sebastian was never going to mention their kiss in the report and that was what was taking him so long as he was trying to create a plausible explanation for being incapacitated.

"You have been taking a long time to write a report about what happened last night. Do you need any help?"

"Yours didn't take too long to write because you didn't do anything last night," Sebastian argued. "I am the one that almost caught him."

"I've had contact with him before," Ciel snapped back.

Tanaka sensed incoming danger and took action before his master could inadvertently let something slip again. Arguments between Sebastian and Ciel were proving to be hazardous so far.

"Sebastian was chloroformed yesterday and still looks sleepy, let him write up his report in peace."

After that Ciel remained quiet for the rest of the day, still wondering why he had kissed Sebastian. The idea had worked, but he certainly was not planning on implementing it again. There was only one person that he could discuss matters like that with. His best and only friend Alois Trancy. He wasn't supposed to tell anyone else about his alter ego, however he had told Alois so he could have someone to talk about it with that was not Tanaka or Mey-Rin. He could call Alois later and air the matter with him.

***

The evidence that Ciel had found was not discussed until they all reached Tanaka's flat. The former butler pulled out the scrapbook and notebook from under the sofa cushions and made tea.

Ciel was keen to know the contents as it would determine whether or not he would have to continue with his search for his parents' murderer using different methods. He waited patiently until Tanaka had served tea and they were all seated around the table.

"Is he the murderer?" he questioned eagerly.

"The contents of the books you picked out were very intriguing. I only had time for a brief look this morning so I am not sure of the answer to that question," the older man informed him. "There is something that is clear though, his latest book was based on the Phantomhive murder."

He slid the scrapbook to Ciel who opened it and was confronted by a newspaper cutout detailing his parents' murder glued to the page. He flipped through all the pages to find they were all newspaper reports about the same thing. Some articles were annotated in rushed writing. The annotations matched details from the novel Wordsmith had written.

Misgivings about Wordsmith being the person they were looking for began to flood him. The murderer would have known how they were killed and would not have needed to read newspapers for research to write about a similar murder. A majority of the articles from the time of the case and some were from later years, mainly anniversaries of the case. The murder had remained unsolved by the Police due to the dire lack of suspects. Or rather all the likely suspects were rich or tied to the government so no one had wanted to accuse them of murder.