Chapter 3

After inspecting the last of the pictures we then made our way to the carriage, but I was stopped in my tracks as someone was calling my name. "Josephine wait" the voice called again. I turned around and there was Dante running towards me. "Feel free to drop by my workshop anytime" He added handing me a piece of paper with the address of it on.

"I will, thank you sir" I replied, but he gave me a look. "Dante" I corrected myself. I climbed into the carriage, we then tore away and headed home. The carriage ride was silent but my thoughts were swimming with the thoughts of Dante Gabriel Rossetti. Once in the courtyard i jumped out of the carriage and ran into my fathers office to find his map, so i could plan my route to Dante's workshop as I had never been there before and I usually know the town well, I sunk into my fathers office chair and began to plan how I was going to get there.

"What are you doing?" My father asked wandering in.

"Nothing" I replied. Getting up and snatching the map, the address and my plan off the desk and went to my chambers, but before I even got out of the room my father stopped me.

"You're not going to see that boy are you?" He quizzed me.

"No" I said innocently, hoping he would believe me.

"Then what were you doing in here?" He interrogated me.

"I am planning my next trail ride with out riding onto someone's land" I told him.

"Well its getting late I think you should get some sleep and do it in the morning" He suggested.

"Fine" I whined walking upstairs, but I worked through the night under candlelight, and I finally found my way around. Then I slipped into bed, feeling excited about seeing Dante in his element tomorrow. The next morning I woke up with the sun shining on me through the netting curtains of my window waking me from my slumber, it was early and all my family were still in bed. So I got changed into my dress and riding boots before sneaking out but I heard a door creak on the landing, I paused on the stairs as I heard footsteps coming towards me, there on the balcony of the stairs was my sister.

"Jo where are you going?" She whispered.

"No where" I answered.

"You're going to see Dante aren't you?" She quizzed me.

"No" I smiled.

"Jo, its 6:00am he wont be awake" She reminded me.

"Yes he will be" I insisted.

"What if our parents notice you're missing?" She inquired.

"Just tell them I have gone out on my planned trail ride" I told her. So she went back to sleep while I padded to the stables, put a bridle on my horse as I would be riding bareback again, so I mounted my horse and then trotted into town gazing at the map every now and then, I was taken into a little alley way, there were no signs but I saw some paintings hanging in the window and it had his signature on them, so I dismounted and tied my horse to a tethering ring on the wall. I then knocked on his door. "Hold on" He called, it sounded as if he was rushing around and trying to cover something, when he finally opened the door.

"Good morning" I greeted him.

"Wow you're really early" He stated.

"Is that how you greet everyone or just women?" I quizzed him and he began to blush, taking a moment to glance over him, his white shirt hanging open, he looked tired and his long dark hair dishevelled suggesting he didn't sleep well. "Can I come in?" I asked.

"Of course yes" He answered nervously. "You didn't mind me painting you or horse did you?" He asked me.

"No its fine, it was nice to be appreciated for once" I answered.

"Ohl I am sorry you feel that way" He said.

"Its okay, its not your fault, its just my family expect too much of me, they expect me to behave in a certain way, and to be a lady, but you Dante you caught me in your painting of who I really am" I explained as he unlocked his workshop. He soon opened the door and allowed me in. It was nice, good sized, plenty of light and a big desk for all his materials and there was a white sheet over a canvas, there was also a dusty chandelier hanging from the ceiling and by the hearth sat an unmade bed, the sheets all in disorder.

"What's under there?" I inquired, trying to lift the sheet but he rushed over and snatched the sheet from my fingers and my hands soon rested in his.

"Its a work in progress" He answered staring into my eyes, till we were interrupted by his friends. "Ar perfect timing as ever" He sighed breaking the contact with me. "Well Josephine meet John Everett Millais, Fred Walters and William Holman Hunt" Dante introduced us.

"Nice to meet you" Each said in turn kissing my hand.

"Did you tell her, that she was your inspiration for your new piece of work?" John asked.

"No" He replied and began to blush again and was soon looking at the floor.

"We all thought you were drunk by the way you were riding that horse through town yesterday" Fred commented.

"No, lets just say I like to ride recklessly. Not like a young lady" I replied.

"Well that's fair enough" They all nodded. 

"Did you want to come on a morning ride with us, and take breakfast with us in a small café by the river side?" William asked.

"Of course I would be honoured" I replied, as they were the most famous artists in my town, so I mounted my steed and walked to the town stables with them, but Dante rode with me. I waited outside while each one got their horses. Dante on an elegant fille, black Hackney horse with four white socks and a black mane and tail, William on a majestic stallion pure white Connemara, Fred on an grey Lusitano stallion and John on a light bay Paso Fino colt with four black socks.

"Ready?" I inquired as my horse began to fidget, and I allowed him to have his head and I galloped ahead of everyone else.

"Hey slow down" Dante called.

"Sorry boy" I told him and pulled on his reins, so we all walked together, we soon reached café and we tethered the horses to the rings and Dante being yhr gentleman, helped me down from the back of my steed. "Thank you" I said, we then walked in and the waiter came over.

"Usual table?" He asked. They all nodded and it was a table in the corner and the whole morning the guys kept asking me questions and trying to get to know me.

Please vote and comment