71: Beth (Part Two)

not edited.

"Shit!" I say even though no one else is there to hear me. I run back to where Harry's car is parked and get in the driver's seat. The car keys are still in the ignition. I can't think about how stupid that is right now because right now I have to get down to the police station. I quickly put in the address and take off down the road.

While I'm driving, I can't help but think the worst, what if they make Harry stay over night? They can't do that right? Or is throwing a punch in a public bar when you're underage to begin with that serious of a crime? 

I finally pull up to the police station ten minutes later, I sigh and turn off the engine then get out of the car. I make sure to take the car keys with me this time. I walk to the front doors of the police station and burst through them. The lady at the reception desk looks at me with wide eyes. I walk up to her.

"I'm sorry," I start kind of out of breath, "I'm uh here for Harry, Harry Styles?"

The lady gives me a curious look but goes to typing away on her computer, she clicks her mouse a few times before looking back up at me.

"He's currently in a holding cell, he's been processed and will be able to leave in the morning." The receptionist says dryly to me. My heart sinks.

"Isn't there some type of bond that someone can pay to release him?" I ask desperately, I mean I know I couldn't bail him out but I could call his parents and they could at least?

"His bond is set at," The lady starts and looks closer at the computer screen, "five hundred dollars."

"Five hundred dollars?!"

The lady looks at me, and I can tell she is annoyed. I take a deep breath and calm down, but, five hundred dollars? Really? I guess he's in trouble unless his parents can come up with that tonight. I feel as if this is all my fault, if I had just never asked Harry to come with me to bring Luke home.

"Ma'am, he is allowed one phone call, I'm sure he'll call his parents and sort everything out, he seems like a good kid caught in a bad situation." The receptionist says, her voice softer. I smile weakly at her, hopefully she is right.

"You are welcome to wait in one of those chairs if you'd like." I nod and walk to where the chairs are a short distance from the desk. I sit down in one and put my head in my hands. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I think to myself. This all could've been avoided.  

Thankfully my mom hasn't called me yet, which means she hasn't awaken yet to notice that I am not home in bed like I should be. If she did, I would literally be grounded for like five months for sneaking out, and then for eternity when she finds out I snuck out to a bar then ended up here at a police station.

I just hope Harry doesn't have to spend the night here, and it would be all my fault.

...

I am awaken by someone shaking my shoulder. I groan and open my eyes, they widen when I see Harry's green ones staring in to my own. I jump up from my seat and hug him tightly, he hugs back, his arms wrap themselves around my waist and he's squeezing so hard I can't breathe, but I don't care.

"Harry," I say into his chest, I look up at him with a frown on my face, he looks so tired, "I am so sorry, this is all my fault."

Harry looks at me confused, "Beth, none of this is your fault, I was the one who threw the first punch, I'm the one who got myself in this mess." He says, his voice is all raspy and I just want to hug him forever.

"Well, if I had just never asked you to take me to pick him up, none of this would happen." I say, Harry raises his eyebrows and nods agreeing with me.

"Yeah, I guess this is what happens when you try to help an asshole." Harry says with a small smile, I laugh. How does he make something so bad seem not that bad at all? I look to the reception desk with a smile but it drops when I see that the lady from last night is not there. I look back to Harry.

"So you're free to go?" I ask him, he nods and takes my hand in his, intertwining our fingers. We walk out of the police station and into the sun light. I squint my eyes and quickly get into the driver's side, surprisingly Harry doesn't argue that he should drive. He gets into the passenger seat with out a word.

After ten minutes of driving in pure silence, I break it.

"Harry, did you at least call your parents last night to see if they could bail you out?" I ask and glance over at him. He's staring out the window and he takes a moment before answering me.

"No." I furrow my eyebrows.

"What the hell Harry? Why not? You didn't have to spend the night in there." I say, but he still doesn't look at me.

"I couldn't call them." He says and from the corner of my eye, I see him doodling with his finger on the car window. I sigh.

"And why is that?" I ask slightly annoyed, he could've avoided sleeping in that awful place.

"They're dead." He simply says.

I gasp quietly and turn my head towards him, he's still staring out the window, I immediately regret my tone when asking him those questions. I didn't know, he never told me this until now. I am at a loss for words.

"I-I'm so sorry Harry, I didn't know." I apologize.

"S'ok." He says and I can hear him moving around in his seat, I turn my head to look at him once more, his head is leaned against the window and his eyes are closed, his arms are crossed against his chest. For the first time, I see Harry, sad.

His eyebrows are scrunched together and his mouth has the slightest frown, as I stop at a red light, I can hear his soft snores. He looks like a little vulnerable kid when he's asleep. I take in all his features, I think about the countless times he's made me smile and laugh, I think about how he always has a smile on his face, but really he's probably hurting inside. In that moment, I feel something in my heart, if that is possible.

"I love you." I speak so quietly, I can't tell if I said it aloud or in my head, but I mean it. The light turns green and I stop staring at Harry who's still fast asleep, and I speed off towards his house.

a/n omfg did she just say the L word????

shit just got real bitches

thanks for reading xx - A