chapter 31✿

"What do you mean you're moving back?" I yell.

What the hell is he talking about? He must be saying this because he's intoxicated. He can't actually mean he's moving back.

"I'm moving back to Melbourne. There's nothing in Sydney for me anymore." Michael shrugs, as if what he's saying isn't affecting anyone.

"What are you even talking about? There's everything for you in Sydney. I'm there!" I yell.

"You're there for Luke, not me. I don't need you. I don't need anyone." Michael says.

"So Cora, and Calum, and Ash―you're just going to leave them?"

"They've known Luke for longer. They're going to take his side over mine. Then i'll really have no one." Michael says.

"Would you listen to yourself? There are no sides! This isn't a fight. Luke and I are dating, you're just going to have to get over it. Cora didn't seem to care. She won't take a side." I say, instantly regretting it.

"Wha―Cora knew?" Michael yells.

"I'm sorry. She walked in on us ki―she found out. But she thought it would be best for me to tell you. She didn't want to get involved." I explain, sparing the details of what she walked in on for Michael's sake.

"Fuck!" Michael yells and throws his beer bottle against the wall, smashing it into little pieces. 

"Please, can we just go back to dad's and talk about all this? Better yet, let's just go home. Let's go back to Sydney." I cry.

"I am home. I'm not going back to Sydney." 

"Michael you're taking this all way too far. Please, you need to just accept that Luke and I are together. If it makes you feel better, we won't act like a couple when you're around." I say, trying to say anything possible to make this whole situation better.

"Like that will make it all go away!"

"Well what do you want us to do? Break up?!" I exclaim.

He stops and looks me dead in the eyes. "Yes, actually." 

He cannot be serious. He would really let Luke and I break up just because he didn't approve? Just because he doesn't like us together, he would take away my happiness?

"Well i'm sorry, it's not going to happen. Please Michael just try to understand. I-"

"Just go home, May. I want nothing to do with you, or him!" Michael yells.

"But- but i'm your sister." I whimper.

"I don't give a fuck. You're just a sad little girl who takes her shit out on everyone else because she can't deal with it on her own. Mom was right. You really do think you're better than everyone else. You're no one to me." Michael spits out at me. 

Luke grabs Michael by his shirt. "Don't fucking talk to her like that!" He yells.

"Get the fuck out, you useless piece of garbage. No wonder why your dad left all those years ago." Michael spit.

With that, Luke clenched his fist and threw it forward to Michael's jaw, causing Michael to stammer backward. 

"You're going to regret that." Michael said as he held his jaw.

Luke turned and grabbed my hand. "We're leaving."

And with that, we walked out, leaving Michael behind. 

How could Michael say such a thing to Luke. He doesn't know the full story. He has no right to talk to him like that. 

"May, calm down." Luke stopped me on the sidewalk. He must have seen how angry I was. He took my hands in his; I hadn't noticed they were shaking.

"No! How dare he talk to you like that! He doesn't know what went on with your dad! He's such an asshole!" I scream.

"He's just mad right now. And he's not in the right state of mind. He'll realize he was wrong to say that once he sobers up; if he even remembers he said it." Luke says.

"How are you so alright with what he said?" I ask.

"I'm not alright with any of it, which is why I punched him." Luke laughs slightly, trying to lighten the mood, but it isn't working very well. "but he's still my best friend. Even if i'm not his."

I smile weakly and wrap my arms around Luke's torso, burying my head in his chest. 

"I just want to go home." I say, meaning Sydney. I truly felt at home when I was there. I belonged there, so did Michael. 

-

After a long five days, we were finally going back to Sydney. I hadn't seen or heard from Michael since the yelling match at Clay's.

"Bye, dad." I said, hugging my father goodbye. "I'm sorry about everything that happened. I really didn't plan for the trip to turn out the way it did."

"It's not your fault, kiddo. I can't believe the way your brother is acting. Is he really not going back to Sydney with you guys?" He asks.

"He said he's staying here. I really hope he changes his mind though." I say.

"Well, our flight isn't for a few hours. He still has time to make it." Luke says, rubbing circles on my back.

"We should get to the airport. Love you dad." I say, hugging him again.

"I love you too. Come back and visit soon." He says.

"Maybe you could come to Sydney. Melbourne seems to be bad luck for me." I laugh slightly.

"Maybe that's a good idea." My dad laughs.

"Nice meeting you, Luke. I'm sorry about my son." He says as he shakes Luke's hand.

"Don't be sorry. I just hope he'll come around." Luke says.

We put our suitcases in the taxi and wave goodbye as we drive to the airport.

-

"This is the last call for flight 409 to Sydney. Please board now." The lady on the intercom says.

"May, we really have to go." Luke says with our suitcases in hand.

We had been sitting in the airport for over two hours, and my eyes hadn't left the doorway the whole time. I was silently wishing for Michael to come to his senses and fly back with us. But, that didn't seem to be the case.

"But Michael's not here yet. We have to wait for him." I say, tears forming in my eyes for the hundredth time this week.

"May," Luke grabs my hand and sits back down beside me, "He's not coming." 

"But I can't go without him." I cry.

"You have to. We need to go." He rubs his thumb over mine.

I wipe under my eyes and nod slowly. I was going back to Sydney without my brother. 

I stand up and grab my suitcases. We walk over to the lady who takes our tickets. I take one last look at the doorway. Still no Michael.

We board the plane and take our seats. I stare at the doorway, silently praying Michael will run through. 

"It's going to be okay." Luke whispers. 

But it wasn't. Nothing was going to be okay.

A/N Hey guys! How are you all liking what's happening? What are your opinions on Michael and his behaviour? Let me know in the comments :) Don't forget to vote as well. x