fifty three.

Flora. 

I arrive at the door of Amber's town house flat, climbing the creaky stairs to number 4, the drugstore carrier bag clutched in my hand, I'm completely out of breath by the time I reach the door, knocking hard. I knock again persistently and Amber answers wearing a silky dressing gown her hair in rollers.

"Jesus christ, patience is freaking virtue Flora" She whines stepping back to let me into her modern flat. I dump the bag on the table, still out of breath. She looks at me expectantly as I stay silent, I'm too bewildered to say anything. 

"I think I'm pregnant" I say, exhaling and tugging at my lip nervously. 

"Fuck off.. you serious?" She asks her brown eyes widening as she stares at me in shock. 

"I'm not joking!" I whine in frustration. If only she knew the extent. 

"Sorry, right get your pee ready" Amber says, going over to the bag on the table and removing the white sticks from the boxes, unwrapping the paper instructions. She goes into the kitchen and returns with a bottle of water. 

"Drink up" She says, I drink self consciously as she watches, I keep going until I'm feeling sloshy and busting for a wee. She passes the two tests to me, turning me by the shoulders and down the hall into her bedroom - which by the way is exactly what you'd expect from Amber, then into the en suite. She walks out leaving the door open, catching it as I go to shut it. 

"Hey don't mind me" She says, going into the bedroom, I give up on the argument, so desperate to pee. I pee on them both gradually, during the second Amber comes in to ask my opinion on her lipstick, I put them both on the side of the sink, washing my hands and going back into the bedroom. Amber chatters on to me as we wait the three minutes - none of which I'm listening to. I'm just so desperate to find out the result. 

"Hey it's been like 3 minutes" Amber says, I spring up and we crowd into the bathroom, I pick up one and she picks up the other. 

Two plusses, two fucking red plusses. 

I look at her. 

"You should probably sit down, you look like you're about to pass out" Amber says softly, about as softly as I've ever heard her. She guides me to sit on her bed, leaving the pregnancy tests tossed in the sink. 

Just then there's another knock at her door. 

"Sorry, two seconds" She says patting my arm comfortingly. I hear muffled voices and suddenly Niall is at the bedroom  door, hungrily making out with Amber. Who is playfully pushing him away and trying to protest, it doesn't take Niall long to catch my attention. I can't help but raise my eyebrows a wide smirk at my lips, holding onto my laughter. 

"I tried to tell him" Amber says sheepishly. 

"I thought you were still at Harry's.." Niall mumbles. 

"I thought you were WITH Harry" I say. He still looks a little dumbstruck. 

"So.. you two...?" I chuckle, feeling amused for the first time today. 

"Yeah whatever he's leaving now" Amber shoves him back out the door. 

"Have fun on your date tonight AMBER!" He calls, shutting the door. 

"So that's a casual thing then" I say with a laugh, I swear I see her tanned face blush. 

"Yeah, we have fun" She shrugs with a cheeky smile. God I've got to tell Harry.. Amber interrupts. 

"So, you're pregnant.. back to that" She says. I look at her wearily. 

"What do you think you'll do..?" She asks. 

"I.. Oh god I don't know" I say, wiping away the traitor tears that are filling my eyes. 

"Maybe an abortion.." I say, yes, I could and Harry nor Eddie nor anyone would ever find out and I'd be back to square one but at least I wouldn't be pregnant. 

"Really? But Harry would be such a good daddy don't you think? and oh my god I could buy it shoes and it could be the poster baby for baby Burberry!" She gushes. 

"I think you're getting ahead of yourself.." I laugh at her positive attitude even though I'm still crying. 

"How pregnant are you.. like you don't look it" She says, staring at my belly. 

"Not very.. I don't know, I should probably go to the doctors or something" I sniffle. At least that would tell me exactly whose baby it is. Anything longer than 4 weeks and I know that it's Harry's.. 

"Jesus wait were you on the pill? I need to change my contraception we do not need Niall's little terrors running around, no thanks" She says. I nod, not really listening, fixated with the idea of finding out.