Chapter 26 - Mission at the mansion

-Kid, are you ready?

She comes out of the bathroom and leaves me breathless.

-You look beautiful princess!

She was wearing a long, tight-fitting blue dress, with a slit halfway down her right thigh and small shiny details on the left side. The hair is half-up, accentuating the dress's v-neckline. Black buckle heels, making her my height. And heavy makeup, but this time in blue tones.

-Thank you redhead. - I pull her towards me and kiss her intensely.

-Wow, what was that? I want it again!

This time it is she who kisses me passionately, and wraps me in her arms. We stop the kiss to breathe and our eyes meet looking into each other's souls.

-I love you – those words come to me without thinking.

She looks surprised, it was rare for me to say those words just in the moment, and finally she lets out a huge smile.

-I love you too Eutass.

Narrator POV

Eriss and Kid head to the mansion where the auction would take place. Both couldn't quite hide the surprise at a the party class's being so clandestine. It reminded them of another world, which they both missed.

-We're here for business, not to really enjoy it – says Eriss, clinging tighter to Kid's arm, as she feels so many eyes on her.

-I'm the one who should tell you that. Have you forgotten that a few days ago you fell asleep because you were so drunk? And on top of that when I was starting to get my reward for taking care of you?

-hmm, you were compensated the next day, and the next day, don't complain. – She gives him a discreet frown.

-I think my girlfriend became more famous and gave our gang even more of a name. There are a lot of eyes on us and I bet they must have already started with whispers.

-Or maybe it's because you insisted on coming with your shirt open. It's a classy event, not an eccentric one.

-Wearing a closed shirt and tie would ruin my image. Admit that you're enjoying holding onto me and looking down on the others.

-Never! – she steps in front of him and gives him a light kiss on the lips – I'm going to get us drinks.

The night goes on and they both talk to people they know, most of them informants or just casual conversations.

-Will you give me the pleasure of this dance, princess? – he takes her hand and intertwines his fingers in it.

-Of course, redhead.

The music starts and, to Eriss' great surprise, Kid was guiding her perfectly. It was one of those moments that both of them would not forget, wrapped in each other's gaze. She felt the metal on her back that gave her goosebumps, in contrast to the warmth of his hand in hers. The world around them had melted and only they existed as one.

-I didn't know you danced so well for a captain with such a bloodthirsty reputation.

-It's not just you who is a box of surprises, I also have some tricks up my sleeve.

He pulls her closer to him, their faces were so close that they could feel each other's breath. And they continue like this until the end of the song.